Discuss Working away 5 days a week in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What rates should I expect to work away in UK 5 days a week? Flat rate + (ex amount per hour). should I expect to work 12 hours a day? If only allowed to work 8 what hourly rate is fair? £20 a day for food and Also accommodation paid for.

Ps I'm on the books, JIB Approved.

Cheers

Don't the JIB have laid down rates for working away etc?? If this is not for a JIB company, you can still use the JIB rates as a guide as to what you should be looking for.

Best bet is to check out the JIB website for the rates/allowances etc.....

I would ask for the hours and additional allowances to be confirmed in writing before I made up my mind.

The hours of work will be defined and I'm hoping your employer has set rates for accomodation and meals.

Get them to put you up in a premier inn, and get the meal deal put on the cost of the room. Works out easier IMO as you roughly know what standard of room you are getting/parking and the meal deal includes a two course meal with a drink and breakfast in the morning. This is what I give the lads when staying away plus an extra £20 a day on normal day rate.

It is all laid out in the JIB handbook, try google, a great tool, anything else? amendment 3 tips or a guide to the plain obvious.:biggrin:

Most firms go by the JIB handbook when calculating working away, the companies around here certainely do, the only time they do not is if you are sub contracting or in a position where you can call the shots because they need you.

The trouble with working away from home all week, is the fact that one's bar bill goes through the roof!
Unless you're one of those extremely well disciplined characters who can just sit in their hotel room all night. Not me!!!
So you need to consider how much extra cash you're going to get through than you would at home.

The perks of working away are getting ratted every night and sleeping with the barmaid. The downside is it's bloody expensive and the five day hangover often lasts in to the wk end.

Get them to put you up in a premier inn, and get the meal deal put on the cost of the room. Works out easier IMO as you roughly know what standard of room you are getting/parking and the meal deal includes a two course meal with a drink and breakfast in the morning. This is what I give the lads when staying away plus an extra £20 a day on normal day rate.

You got any jobs going?

Never worked for anyone who has been that generous with their subsistance allowance.

It is all laid out in the JIB handbook, try google, a great tool, anything else? amendment 3 tips or a guide to the plain obvious.:biggrin:

The only thing i can find on jib website is lodging allowance, i can't find nothing stating the actual rate, any chance you can point me in the right direction? my company is not JIB.

cheers

11.3 Lodging Allowance
11.3.1 Operatives sent from the Employer’s Shop who are required to start and finish at the normal
starting and finishing time on jobs where their employer requires them to stay away from
their normal place of residence and provide proof of lodging will be paid Lodging Allowance
as determined from time to time by the JIB National Board.
Operatives who are required to lodge, or move from one lodging job to another,
shall normally be provided with five days’ notice of the requirement. Operatives shall
co-operate with their employers, on short term jobbing contracts, where they may be
required to lodge at short notice due to unforeseen circumstances.
The payments applicable are:
LODGING ALLOWANCE & RETENTION PAYMENTS
From and including Monday 7th January 2013
Lodging Allowance £35.55 per night
Retention Payments to a maximum of £11.81 per night
(£82.67 per week)
Weekend retention fees £35.55 per night
From and including Monday 6th January 2014
Lodging Allowance £36.41 per night
Retention Payments to a maximum of £11.98 per night
(£83.86 per week)
Weekend retention fees £36.41 per night
Future increases to be based upon the industry formula of the movement in the catering
element of the Retail Price Index.
The employer may, at his absolute discretion, choose to meet a reasonable bill presented by
the operative rather than paying an untaxed lodging allowance.
Recognising the increasing cost of lodging, the employer shall not unreasonably refuse to
reimburse bills as an alternative to the untaxed lodging allowance.

Ive looked at that but i can't find anything to say what I'm entitled to, only lodging allowance.

The JIB lodging allowance includes finding your own place to stay plus feeding yourself.

Reply to Working away 5 days a week in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net