Discuss Working in Germany in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

future evolve

Good Afternoon,

I have total confusion regarding this subject and after looking at site after site I am in no better mind so I hope you guys can help me out on my points !!!!!!!!!!

I am a electrical improover and having spent over 17 years in the trade I am well upto date with all electrical etc.I do have 17th and part 1 and 2 in 2330.
Ok my problem is that my Mrs has a job offer in Berlin and we have booked flights for the end of the month to move out there but I have no work. I am self employed at the moment and would like to keep it this way.

Q1 Can i set up as a sole trader in Germany and be VAT registerd on a flat rate scheme over there as I am in England.

Q2 What would i need as in (17th) to work as i do over here in Berlin.

Q3 Any agencys (uk companys working in Germany) i could contact or web site I can look at that will help me in my path.

Q4 as it stands i earn between £400 and £500 per week so would the pay scale be the same.

It would be a great help if I could get any info.

Cheers................:willy_nilly:

Number 1 question for you, Do You Speak German?? If you don't, how exactly do you think you can operate as an electrician in Germany, whether it be working as a sole trader or for a company??

You'll also need to verify if your present trade qualifications meet German minimum standards, they are sticklers for correct qualifications etc, are our German cousins....

If Germany is anything like France, you will need to get your qualifications translated and speak with the local authorities to find out how you set up a business and what kind of hoops you have to jump through. You will also need to have insurances in place, these will almost certainly have to come from German Ins companies as I very much doubt you will get a UK company to cover you full time over there. Also if you are living there full time, you will also have to declare yourself to the German tax authority.

Good luck with your move and let us know how you get on.

Regards
Victor

A friend of mine did this but he took a different route , he contacted German companies as he speaks good German and arranged some work experience, where he found it was quite different to here, he said the average German was extremely professional and knowledgeable about everything in their day to day work ,(and he's definitely above average as an Electrician here) ,so much so he went to work as a mate and went back to school and qualified over there, no short courses there I'm afraid and he said the course was difficult and much more in depth than his British equivalent, the money in comparison was less than he earned here (and some living costs were higher) as people are more interested in stability than making money quickly.
He's still there after 6yrs and is now fully qualified, and says the working conditions are much better than here.

Reply to Working in Germany in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net