Discuss Working live in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FYI, fitting an MCB into a DB is classed as working live, an electrician friend of mine got seriously hurt doing just this, all down to a faulty breaker which blew up in his face as he fitted it.
The HSE got involved and said there was no reason why the board should not have been switched off to carry out the work. His company got fined and he has the scars on his face and hands.
As with all accidents, its the unexpected that gets you..
Why do I get a dumb rating for this???? Please remove

How fat are your fingers @polo1? There's 2" between like and the other! It's certainly fiddly on an I phone, sometimes it takes 5 goes to get it right!
Is that how you spell 'goes'? You judge but careful to not press the dumb button! sausage fingers!

How fat are your fingers @polo1? There's 2" between like and the other! It's certainly fiddly on an I phone, sometimes it takes 5 goes to get it right!
Is that how you spell 'goes'? You judge but careful to not press the dumb button! sausage fingers!

Lol! Have to say I'm still struggling with parts of the "new" site - must be getting to the age where adapting to change is getting more difficult.
PS why are my emojis not appearing in posts?????

I had one bad experience with a co-worker while working live on a job. Since then I've worked odd hours on jobs where they wanted me to work live just to avoid it when possible. I typically will only work live if I'm working alone and no one else can complicate the process.

I had one bad experience with a co-worker while working live on a job. Since then I've worked odd hours on jobs where they wanted me to work live just to avoid it when possible. I typically will only work live if I'm working alone and no one else can complicate the process.
And if you got a belt that wasn't fatal what next if you are alone?

I'm very new to electrical work in the grand scheme of things and iv experienced 1 close encounter fitting a shower pull cord and a multimeter (some of you may have read that post)

It's fair to say that even that fairly large (for my experience) bang and spark scares me and really touched home the reality of electricity. I wouldn't work live unless I felt 100% confident and the right tools/protection. I'm not scared of electricity but I damn well respect it and don't for one Minute think I'm immune to a fatal shock.

You can be as hard as nails with balls of steel until it catches you the wrong way.

This goes beyond client contractor having a poke at each other.
There are certain conditions where live working is acceptable but there are very rigorous rules to be observed.
Documentation, RAs, Flash gear, marigolds, 11kV rubber mats
You will find them in the EAWRs 1989 and ESQCR 2002
My advice is to get the HSE to order a stop notice on the contracted work (by not stopping), the client will pass the notice onto Environmental Health dept.
At this point you step back and crack open the pop corn

This is what happens when you don't plan ahead

Notice his safety hat wasn't strapped on and fell off. Notice the chaos of the working environment. An accident waiting to happen.

Yes isn't it a strange phenomenon, the bigger the hammer the more you hit your thumb :).

Felt sorry for my mate yesterday, thumb just back to normal & no black nail so he's landed. He'd only been showing us 5 minutes before how well it had healed, then the idiot picks up a 16oz ball hammer to whack out a bearing & hits the same thumb.
:confused:.

Reply to Working live in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock