Discuss Working offshore? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dtodman16

Hey guys!

been time served for nearly 2 years now, and im slowly bit surely warming to the idea of maybe working offshore!

What i want to know is what courses do i need exactly for it? Been told a mixture of different things but hopefully you guys can perhaps put my mind at ease and give me a definite answer as to what i need and where i can go to do them and roughly how much they would be?

Im 23 years old and would ideally like to do this when i am young. Only thing is im not the strongest swimmer in the world but obv that can be worked on!

Cheers guys

Hey guys!

been time served for nearly 2 years now, and im slowly bit surely warming to the idea of maybe working offshore!

What i want to know is what courses do i need exactly for it? Been told a mixture of different things but hopefully you guys can perhaps put my mind at ease and give me a definite answer as to what i need and where i can go to do them and roughly how much they would be?

Im 23 years old and would ideally like to do this when i am young. Only thing is im not the strongest swimmer in the world but obv that can be worked on!

Cheers guys

I know there have been some issues with helicopters but I always thought they sent some one out to rescue you if it goes down and they don't expect you to swim to or from work:grin::grin:

My brother in law is a scaffolder in north sea rigs and he told me he had to do an offshore survival course which is about a grand or so. That's like a basic minimum and everyone on a rig has to have it but it needs to be paid for by yourself. I'm not sure what else you'd need tho

Hi, a couple of my mates work offshore, so as far as I know.......to work offshore you need BOSIET/MIST, which is the offshore safety training. You need to pass the medical and you need to pass the COMPEX course. Google it, you'll find loads of info. Also, I believe your employer/sponsor will make your travel arrangements (helicopter) so you won't have to take your armbands

The first things Wood Group or AMEC will do is ask is you have survival.MIST,medical and CompEx,and if you don't they will not be interested.
The thing now is they send all trades for a trade test now and the pass on the AMEC one was 19% in Hartlepool two weeks ago

100% Agree with posts that mentioned BOSIET, MIST, Medical (50/50 will also ask for an audiology exam which is connected but separate from medical) and Compex Ex01-Ex04 Worked off-shore for a while now Those four things and your sparky ticket and your golden. However just so you know the survival courses are being updated for the new Compressed Gas Breathing system. It means anyone flying to a installation that uses a chopper with it will need to complete this also. And by the end of September no less. A lot of unhappy people find out about this. The good news its 90 mins and a dry course

Reply to Working offshore? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net