Discuss Working out how many IR heaters in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hightower

So when I get back to the school I plan to make my office a bit of an experiment room. Swapping the 1200x600s for 600x600 LED panels and the likes.

One of my ideas is to install IR heating panels. I've never actually encountered them, they are meant to be all the rave, and I think they would have a place in the school that could potentially save them money, or at the very least allow them granular control of heating (current archaic CH system doesn't allow for that). Has anyone used them and what do you think, but my main question is how to you work out how many IR heaters you need for each space? Is there a way to calculate it much like you can calculate lighting designs?

calculation would be complex. depending not only on room size and height of ceilings, but also on heat retention factors of the room/s ( insulation, draughts etc.). i'd be inclined to ask manufacturers for guidance here.

Have a look at Infrared Heating panels Calculator: How Many IR Panels Needed? - https://www.infralia.com/en/consumption/infrared-heating-calculation-requirements/

and

Calculate size of panels you need - https://www.warm4less.com/warm4less_calculate-size.html

When i had to have an op on my leg, i chose a private clinic as per the nhs choices thing. the clinic had these IR panels as heaters in the ceiling, they were really good and definitely are the way forward.
but did your leg get better quicker?

So how do they compare to a big old boiler that heats all the school (even when most rooms aren't calling for heat)? I'm guessing there's savings to be made.

What's the standard wiring procedure? Guessing they need wiring through some sort of controller, or is that typically built in to the unit?

You may want to look into this further, I have worked in hundreds of schools and only ever seen wet heating for the rads and fan heaters so there could be a reason for this.

but did your leg get better quicker?
Ha. Yeah sort of. They fixed one thing but the damn steroids afterwards masked and weakened something else...
The nurse said they use the ir heaters as they can direct the heat as they want it and its got therapeutic benefits.

I was aware they use it on horses but also in sports rehab too.

One of the links i put up earlier has somegood info on the site. The belgian company shows them as normal electric radiators and also ceiling variants. It appears they are wired as a normal one via a fcu? Might be wrong.

Itsgot me thinking though that given they use so much less electric. Compared to both gas central heating and other heaters they potentially can save a lot of £££s so i might look into this and see what the customer demand might be locally. I reckon you could do a whole house far cheaper than a new central heating system.
Only problem would be hot water.

Weird concept as you could be sitting there with a toasty body holding a thermometer that is reading zero.

You may want to look into this further, I have worked in hundreds of schools and only ever seen wet heating for the rads and fan heaters so there could be a reason for this.

Oh it won't be done on a whim, not a chance. Probably install one or two in my office first to see exactly how they work, and if they do the job we need I'll start doing a feasibility study

Strange , less clothes equals more heat , shouldn't bother the youth of today .
( I was the nerd wearing a duffle coat in sumer - Skinny and cold)
...Now defending from overhead IR/UV sources with my hat on !...

Reply to Working out how many IR heaters in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock