Discuss Would a PIR be okay.................... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Trying to buy a house at the moment......i haven't worked in the domestic side of things for a while now so im not 100% sure about everything.

The sellers have declared on the property information form, that electrical wiring was carried out in 2010 and the whereabouts of the EIC is unknown.....
They have already sold the house to a relocation company, so the solicitors are acting on the company/sellers behalf, with the sellers providing information on associated queries.....

Obviously after asking questions about the required paperwork and what electrical works were carried out.....
The solicitors response was...... Unfortunately the sellers have been unable to locate the EIC and it must be considered to have been lost. The works carried out was simply the replacement of existing electrical wiring with like for like. Our client has no receipts or invoices available and was advised that no formal consents were required under the Building Regulations at the time. Accordingly, neither we nor our clients are able to assist any further.

My thoughts........ After viewing the property with my wife, noticing the newly fitted bathroom suite with new electric underfloor heating " Notifible Works Part P Building Regulations Compliance" comes to mind!
Still not fully knowing the amount of electrical works that have been carried out in the property, which sounds like a full rewire according to the above statement from the solicitors, also knowing that a supposedly EIC has gone missing by the sellers own admission, there must have been a fair amount of work carried out in the property!
A copy of the EIC can be obtained from the person or contractor who carried out the work as they will hold copy, by simply contacting them, but no mention of that option............

Due to the fact the sellers have declared electrical works were carried out which is documented, this could affect the buildings insurance cover if there was a fire and no certificates!
Would a PIR cover this or would the limitations cause problems with the insurance side of things?

Any replies would be appreciated

A PIR seems the only option, in my opinion, if the EIC is absent and likely never to be found.

What other option is there? I can't think of one.

In your defense, if it was me buying this property, l would lay it on thick, demanding that due to the lack of EIC, and the insurance issues it raises, a reduction on the asking price is necessary. Only one EIC can be done, and if the person who did the work, is not known or traceable, that leaves you with only one option and that's the PIR.

A PIR is a legal document, completed by a competent/qualified person stating that an Inspection & Test has been made on the installation, with any problems, defects, deviations or advice reported on the cert.

sounds like a rewire done by the polish / diy

what i would do in this situation is get a spark who you know (always helps) get a full PIR done at sellers expense...!
get the spark to issue a PIR with fundamental basic flaws warranting a full rewire... !! quickest way to get 2-3k knocked off the off the price..! :)

alternatively just a PIR to assess suitability..!

Paul does it matter if you haven't done domestic for a while, do the PIR yourself as I'm assuming your work concerns commercial/industrial. So demand of the solicitors that as work had been done in 2010 that no longer appears to carry any certification, you want to have a full PIR done.

Carry out a full PIR and then with a copy of your qualifications and the Test meter calibration certificate forward your report to the solicitors and offer either the asking price is dropped and you will ensure that the remedials are completed, or they contract a company to do it.

Bottom line though is, the previous owners have moved on so they don't give a monkeys, the relocation company may want to sell on but may be able to afford to hang on, so it will be up to you how much you really want the house, in how far you push it.

Last edited:
Trying to buy a house at the moment......i haven't worked in the domestic side of things for a while now so im not 100% sure about everything.

The sellers have declared on the property information form, that electrical wiring was carried out in 2010 and the whereabouts of the EIC is unknown.....
They have already sold the house to a relocation company, so the solicitors are acting on the company/sellers behalf, with the sellers providing information on associated queries.....

Obviously after asking questions about the required paperwork and what electrical works were carried out.....
The solicitors response was...... Unfortunately the sellers have been unable to locate the EIC and it must be considered to have been lost. The works carried out was simply the replacement of existing electrical wiring with like for like. Our client has no receipts or invoices available and was advised that no formal consents were required under the Building Regulations at the time. Accordingly, neither we nor our clients are able to assist any further.

My thoughts........ After viewing the property with my wife, noticing the newly fitted bathroom suite with new electric underfloor heating " Notifible Works Part P Building Regulations Compliance" comes to mind!
Still not fully knowing the amount of electrical works that have been carried out in the property, which sounds like a full rewire according to the above statement from the solicitors, also knowing that a supposedly EIC has gone missing by the sellers own admission, there must have been a fair amount of work carried out in the property!
A copy of the EIC can be obtained from the person or contractor who carried out the work as they will hold copy, by simply contacting them, but no mention of that option............

Due to the fact the sellers have declared electrical works were carried out which is documented, this could affect the buildings insurance cover if there was a fire and no certificates!
Would a PIR cover this or would the limitations cause problems with the insurance side of things?

Any replies would be appreciated

The other problem that you have here is that you are left with a property without any Part P compliance which means you will have similar difficulties selling on.

Most Local authorities operate a scheme called 'regularisation' whereby a PIR issued by a member of a competent persons scheme will be accepted as compliance and result in the retrospective award of a compliance certificate.

There will be a 'notification charge' for this exeption so check with the LA and deduct the PIR and notification costs from your offer price.

Firstly i would just like to say thanks for the comments......
Sellers solicitors have replied saying no PIR can be carried out until exchange of contracts, basically your problem and your paying for it, also no movement on house price.......
How do you get what you so rightly deserve...?

that tells me the seller may have something to hide. would he say the same if you were requesting a survey?

we looked at a house recently, described as recently rewired. OH YEAH, a 4 way wylex rewireable CU recen, and the nearest RCD at CEF ?????

We carry out 4 or 5 pre-purchase PIR's a month in conjunction with an estate agent and there should be no reason for a vendor to refuse a PIR other than the obvious!

I think you have to balance how much you want the house and how happy you would be there along with the potential that if you get a PIR then remedial work could need doing. Does the purchase price allow for this ? If you decide the place is for you perhaps looking at the present CU will give an indication on the level of care of installation, look for things like warning labels re cable colours on the CU and details like if the circuits are labelled etc..

You might be lucky, perhaps the installation was done well by an electrician who was not member of a scheme and an "arrangement" was made by the old owner who may have not intended to move on? Very odd that the estate agents wont let you get a PIR, I didn't know they could do this. Is there any way you could get back in with a domestic electrician who at least can give a very quick visual inspection just in case there are any really obvious defects? Good luck I hope it works out for you.

Update
The sellers will let us carry out a full PIR, but we have to pay for it.......considering they had electrical works carried out with no EIC done and more than likely no RCD protection on the circuits etc
My only worry is if any remedial work is required out of this we will have to pay for that aswell, am i wasting my time with them?

Thanks again to all the replies

do the PIR and tell the vendor you will be happy to go ahead once any faults are rectified at their expense, or deduct the estimated cost from your offer.

Reply to Would a PIR be okay.................... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock