Discuss Would this work...?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Eddiesparks

I am planning to have an external PIR powering 3 soffit LED light fittings.

Here's where it gets (mildly) interesting, client wants there to be two options, to have them permanently on or to have them just on the sensor.

The way I have first fixed this is... (CPC omitted for clarity) Perm L and N to switch, 2x DP switches - 1 load side of DP switch to PIR, 1 load side of DP switch straight to lights, switched live and neutral from PIR to lights also - all in T&E (maybe would've been easier in three core but runs were v short and I wanted to keep it simple!) so if you liven it up via the "always on" switch then it would liven up the switched live of the PIR - would it damage PIR at all?! God knows why and I doubted it would damage PIR but I've never done this specific thing before.

Thanks

Why not just use a 2 way switch? L2 to turn them on permanently, L3 turns over to the PIR all taken through a adaptable box with the connections in?

Done it that way several times but used 3 core. Never had a problem.

D/P switch for anytrhing outside is a good idea. ( Tel. chapter 3, vs 7. )

Reply to Would this work...?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am installing some driveway lights. The customer wants to be able to switch them on from t he house, but also have a PIR at the driveway...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick one, I want to use an ip rated light switch with a neon indicator to manually ovveride a PIR detector controlling an e27 LED...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an...
Replies
Views
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock