Discuss wylex board in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Is there an RCD which will replace the main switch on an old type wylex board? the type with re- wireable fuses? (which have already been changed to compatable mcbs)
guess ill have to fit new c/u.?

Last edited:
Small enclosure upfront with one rcd/rcbo covering the main board and then Pull one circuit out and into the enclosure on another rcd/rcbo for discrimination

But considering you would still have to test everything, may as well change the board(s)

want it safe but i'm not changing the board, i agree would be easier/quicker/ better etc...but the tight cust.wont pay for a new cu so he aint getting one.Hes selling up. Ill wait till he calls, when the new purchasers surveyor tell him
he changes it or they knock 2k off the asking price.
Theres outlets in the shed. and every likelyhood skt outlets in kitchen could be used
for elec equip outside.

I think it would be better just to change the cu. how would you go about separating the sockets from the lights? Ie sockets on rcd and lights unprotected? Seems abut impractical

But you will probably open a can of worms putting an RCD on an old installation if its not to good. For what you will earn from a small job like that I would walk away

why are you wanting to alter an installation that was compliant to the edition it was installed on...
by installing an earth leakage device...thus by not having any diversity plunging the occupants into darkness should the RCD let go?
if you are that concerned about hedgecutters dont you think it would be more prudent (and cost effective) to fit an RCD socket they could use for outdoor work?...

Reply to wylex board in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net