Discuss Young apprentice died testing factory in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Young apprentice dying testing factory

Absolutley terrible thing to happen and even more so for his father to witness.

This is the dangers of industrial working ... I know 4 firms with high level exposed tram-wires for cranes, they are classed as been at safe height for been exposed but previous inspections should have hi-lighted warning notices would be recommended to alert other trades and engineers. (Modern lines are now all insulated).

I feel sorry for the family but more so the father who IMHO knows within himself he has made an oversight on this on he previous inspections.... as blunt as it may sound, if he is inspecting industrial sites he should be more aware of the hazards that are present in these areas, cannot believe in his 30yrs he has not ever seen exposed tram-lines feeding cranes either that or he's out of his normal working experience and has recently gone industrial.

It sounds like a failure on various areas:-

-The lad shouldn't have been going up a ladder unattended.
-He should have at least been wearing a hard hat
-The exposed tram-lines should have been picked up on any one of his previous inspections thus either warning signs or ensuring they were de-energised and locked off.

Its just a big reminder where both ignorance and complacency can kill... tragic and a sad thing to live with that you may hold a big part in the death of your own child... had any one of my addressed points been taken we may at worse be looking at a cracked safety helmet as I'm led to believe - the paper says electricuted but does express he went down head first and the father felt a pulse while he waited for an Ambulance.

Tragic ..truely tragic!!!

Last edited:
Just to add to that, if the bars were live the crane wasn't locked off.

The poor kid could have just as easily been knocked off by the crane moving.

It is a real tragedy.

AND AFTER ALL MY GOOD NEWS AND VIBES ON HERE TODAY, THIS POOR KID AND i SHARE A NAME, WEIRD HOW THINGS MELD TOGEATHER IN THIS WORLD,.......RUN IT HOME HOW FORTUNATE I HAVE BEEN, AND HOW QUICK IT CAN ALL BE OVER IN THIS JOB,......

IN MY THOUGHTS

SPARK2B

I think, as hard as Darkwoods post sounds,he is 100% correct.

The industrial setting,is no place to learn by trial and error. It can be the "extra curricular" goings-on,that are separate to the job in hand,that can be the cause of incident.

That may be random oral or gaseous expulsions,parts of an automated process...it could even be the monthly visit to a restricted area,by the "rat-man",that can cause a sudden loss of balance/concentration etc.

It is the awareness of ALL the possible scenarios,that can be hard to teach,yet too risky to learn by near-miss.

I have commissioned and dismantled plenty of overhead cranes,mostly German marques,with many using open tram-way bus-bars.

They normally offer no more risk than 3ph leads across a workshop floor,or groups of switchgear next to a roller shutter where the pressure washer is used...

What should've could've would've happened,is secondary to the sad loss,of a young lad,and as a father to two lads,,my heart goes out entirely,to this gentleman.

Reply to Young apprentice died testing factory in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net