Discuss Your thoughts please guys. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sjm

Customer wants to change storage heaters for Rointe panel heaters.
The existing storeage heaters are feed from consumer unit with 100ma RCD, the system is TT earth.
My question is do you guys think I can change the supply for the cu from off peak and swap the heaters, but not worry about changing the RCD to 30ma. I will not be adding any cables that will be burried in walls.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Customer wants to change storage heaters for Rointe panel heaters.
The existing storeage heaters are feed from consumer unit with 100ma RCD, the system is TT earth.
My question is do you guys think I can change the supply for the cu from off peak and swap the heaters, but not worry about changing the RCD to 30ma. I will not be adding any cables that will be burried in walls.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

When you say you 'will not be adding' any buried cables, does that mean that all existing are installed in walls at depths less than 50mm ?

No you don't have to change the RCD.
Make an observation on the lack of 30mA RCD protection in the space on the Certificate for observations on existing installation.

I would have thought it best to change the RCD to 30mA for additional protection if the cables are buried less than 50mm. I know your not addi g any cables but is the 100mA there as a 's' type main switch?

Spinlondon is correct but if it were my installation and my client was spending the sort of money that Rointe charge, I'd be installing RCBO's or at least a 30mA main switch on the off-peak board.

Also check manufacturers instructions, I notice RCD protection mentioned on a growing amount of equipment now!

Thanks for replies guys.
100ma RCD is not type S. Existing cables burried in walls at unknown depths.
IQ you're probably right I'll change existing board to 5 x RCBOs, the cost will be small in comparison to Rointe heaters.

Reply to Your thoughts please guys. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net