Discuss Zafira 1.9cdti Issue Help/advice Please in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Whit3knight

Evening everyone,

Got a Zafira 1.9cdti upon returning from France the (I presume) alternator failed as I have one of those plug in voltage readers and it has got progressively worse at re charging battery on our journey home, just may I add getting us home before power steering went along with lights etc! Woke up next morning and tried to jump start is so I could limp it to a better location on the road and upon connecting the jump lead negative to my car got a right spark and crack (best description) so left it where it was and fitted a new alternator and tensioner pulley (I did fit the battery out of the Zafira into my car and it charged fine so I know the battery is fine and has been fully charged) So........ What could be causing this bad spark? Some months ago we had a similar issue but as it was winter and short journeys put down to heavy battery use, and basically my mate ran the jump leads to his car again it sparked then ran his battery dead, but did start the car then all seemed fine until this latest episode some 8 months down the line! What could be causing this as I have spent a fortune on the car gearbox, timing chain alternator I don't have much more money to chuck at it I'm not looking for putting fellow auto electricians out of trade but if it's something I could fix it would be easier in this instance on the family pot! Hope this is clear and doesn't read like war and peace thanks in advance

Usually you will get an arc if a load is left connected. The components of the vehicle will draw current when the battery is connected . The higher the load the more fierce the arc.
A completely flat battery will act like a load to the donor battery.

I'll check everything is switched off in the morning as I'm working tonight, am I best connecting the leads out of the car with the jump leads to afford myself some protection, I did try and stupidly start the car when it was dead to show the wife it was completely dead 7.2v showing! I wondered if the starter motor was engaged, but speaking to someone else he said if there is no current going to the starter motor it will retract back

No the starter would not be engaged under normal circumstances.
At 7.2 volts the ecu will not be activated either .
Whatever end you connect first at that voltage is likely to cause a reaction, some components require a permanent live.
The donor battery , unless it is very powerful may struggle t to start your car from cold.
Care has to be taken when using jump leads, as this can be a dangerous operation.
In your case I would charge the battery with a mains charger, to equalise the voltage to a higher level.
Then after connecting the jump leads , start the donor engine.
It may also be prudent to run the donor battery up with the engine to ensure it is charged too , before trying to jumps start your vehicle.

Sorry I think I confused the situation somewhat I meant connect the Zafira battery leads to the fully charged Zafira battery via some jump leads (the thought been they are more insulated than just putting the in car leads into the fully charged battery sorry !!!!! And thanks so much for replying

If I do connect and get a flash and sparks am I best disconnecting or percevering

Under normal circumstances that would be the way to do it.
You need to know that there are no shorts on the car though . You may need to get advice locally . Testing is the only way to determine this , and you will need test equipment.
If by some chance the current draw is on your vehicle it could cause a fire.
have you already had this started and has it drained the battery again.

I'm confused lol.
How is the battery flat again then. This looks like you have a draw , or the battery is duff .
Did the battery warning light come on , and has it got a smart alternator?

Came home from France near home voltage dropped and car limped home reading 7.2v when we eventually got home, tried to jump start it next morning that's when I got the big spark, since then removed battery and placed in my car and it stated charging at 14.4v and after a quick spin around the block it managed to start my car. So took it that the battery is ok and must have been alternator so purchased that along with alternator tensioner pulley and fitted them and fully charged the battery via trickle charger. I am now concerned it will spark rather violently again once it's coupled up to Zafira hope this clears confusion and I can only offer my apology as I was at work

No light come on it's a 2007 Zafira cdti as I was unsure about the alternator I took a little plug in volt reader and it steadily dropped all way home to nothing! I was puzzled myself that no battery light came on and it just messed up the power steering and in car display

Reply to Zafira 1.9cdti Issue Help/advice Please in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net