Discuss Ze - zs = r1 + r2? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

conorchapple

Hi I'm new here, I'm a second year apprentice.

When we do domestic testing such as a eicr my boss says that he can 'work out' R1 + R2 by taking the ZE from the ZS however i don't think this is correct as everyone would just do it?? I just wanted to confirm that this isn't correct as i do need to learn the correct way to test new installations for the future and for my college exams.

THANKS

Unfortunately your boss is wrong. You should not calculate the R1 + R2 from the Zs although it is deemed acceptable to calculate Zs from a measured R1 + R2.

Zs usually has parallel paths to earth, often through gas and water pipework, which would lower the Zs and reduce the calculated R1R2. So it would be incorrect to calculate R1R2 in that instance. I was taught that R1R2 should always be measured.

It is definately not the correct way due to parallel paths as already said. In fact, the cpc could be completely open circuit and totally relying on parallel path for continuity. Your boss is not alone though, there are many that calc like this though as it gives them a figure for the box and makes out they carried out the dead test. He would be better to just LIM the R1 & R2 box and just record Zs on a EICR. That is perfectly acceptable if agreed with client and very common on commercial EICR's. He should really be doing it all on a domestic though due to easy isolation and small amount of circuits tbh.

Last edited:
agreewith above posts. R1+R2 should be measured before energising circuit/s. then Zs measured when circuit/s is/are live.

When we do domestic testing such as a eicr my boss says that he can 'work out' R1 + R2 by taking the ZE from the ZS however i don't think this is correct as everyone would just do it?? I just wanted to confirm that this isn't correct as i do need to learn the correct way to test new installations for the future and for my college exams.

THANKS

As a second year apprentice (or anyone working in this industry), you need to get your notation correct. In this case we know what you meant, but an examiner may not be so lenient.

You've used Ze, ZE, ZS, zs, r1, r2, R1, R2, some of which have meanings other than the ones you needed.

Zdb + (R1+R2) will give you your actual Zs.
That's the way it should be calculated.
In my opinion low current loop testers are completely inaccurate so I would prefer to see it done this way.
Definitely never the other way around!

Agree with the above Ze/Zdb + (r1+r2) you cannot go wrong with measuring a cable resistance with its connections.You can do a loop test get a aceptable result however with other paths fails to show the cpc that has come out /loose of a terminal.I is the electrical installation that should be tested.A paralell path could go tomorrow with the removal of a copper water pipe.
Also agree with the comment on loop meters we sent 4 off t be calabrated/checked within spec got them back plugged them into a known socket and got a range of readings but all within tolarance.

One thing I also find is that you can get higher earth loop readings when doing a non trip test due to the R.C.D. So doing the dead test gives you a better idea of what your actual resistance is.

you can bypass the RCD to do a high current loop test. richard burns posted an excellent diagram of how to do it a couple of weeks ago.

THANKS

No mate your boss is talking out of his back passage, unfortunately some unscrupulous practitioners of our beloved trade, think they are called cowboys, do this, sad really

Last edited:
Sorry to drag this up again and I always measure R1+R2 but why do some testers like the MFT1730 have the facility to measure R1+R2 using Ze as a reference. Or have I had a bit of a mental block?

Sorry to drag this up again and I always measure R1+R2 but why do some testers like the MFT1730 have the facility to measure R1+R2 using Ze as a reference. Or have I had a bit of a mental block?
I have a 1720 myself. I know there are sparks who do calc Zs (Zs-Ze=R1&R2), but it can potentially be very inaccurate when you take into account parallel earth paths. The megger is basically doing this for you and it encourages the bad practice.

I have a 1720 myself. I know there are sparks who do calc Zs (Zs-Ze=R1&R2), but it can potentially be very inaccurate when you take into account parallel earth paths. The megger is basically doing this for you and it encourages the bad practice.

Indeed so why do the manufactures include this facility ?
Surely there is some consultation between the manufacturer and the relevant bodies at the design stage.

Reply to Ze - zs = r1 + r2? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net