Discuss Zs and more Zs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wilkyduch

Trying to make sense of ELI and would appreciate some help
Could anyone tell me where you obtain the value for Ze
Thanks very much

When calculating Zs you need to be able to obtain your Ze from the provider. This may however be harder than first expected and so the On-Site guide provides standard values that can be used on page 11.

TN-C-S = 0.35 Ohms
TN-S = 0.8 Ohms
TT = 200 Ohms

I hope this helps.

You measure it at the origin of the installation using a loop impedance meter.

It should be measured with parallel paths (main bonding conductors) removed. Therefore you need to isolate the whole installation first.

When calculating Zs you need to be able to obtain your Ze from the provider. This may however be harder than first expected and so the On-Site guide provides standard values that can be used on page 11.

TN-C-S = 0.35 Ohms
TN-S = 0.8 Ohms
TT = 200 Ohms

I hope this helps.
those are maximum values. Ze should always be measured.

well then, those niceic bods can look at a job i did yesterday. TN-S, Ze measured at 0.29ohms with Cu isolated from supply. if i,d used 0.8, my Zs reasings would be lower than Ze!!!

From what I understand, their argument is that EAWR doesn't allow live working.
As such the Ze and Zs tests are not allowed, as Ze can be obtained through enquiry and Zs by calculation.

there is an argument here. " live testing is not live working". and, for safe isolation you have to pull the DNO fuse. if that's not live working, i son't know what is. and as for enquiry, i phoned scottish power 4 weeks ago to enquire if they could PME an installation. the answer was " we have no way of telling without a site visit. we will contact you within 5 working days to arrange. and what is Ze?" 4 weeks later, no site visit, no contact. pillocks

Like I said, their argument is that Ze can be obtained by enquiry, so live measurement is not required.
Obviously when determining the polarity, as there is no other option than to conduct the test live, they have (as far as I'm aware) no other recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair here, I've got the NICEIC testing book open here and the Ze test is as it should be.

It was Zs testing at outlets where the BS 1363 lead can not be used where calculation is recommended.

Again though, on every technical assessment I've ever done (don't ask) I've done measured Zs at luminaries etc without comment-I suppose NICEIC have to be seen to be abiding by EAWR 1989 which incidentally makes no distinction between 'work' and 'testing'.

To be fair here, I've got the NICEIC testing book open here and the Ze test is as it should be.

It was Zs testing at outlets where the BS 1363 lead can not be used where calculation is recommended.

Again though, on every technical assessment I've ever done (don't ask) I've done measured Zs at luminaries etc without comment-I suppose NICEIC have to be seen to be abiding by EAWR 1989 which incidentally makes no distinction between 'work' and 'testing'.
wonder what their take is on lightmates then?

Lol, I've already e-mailed NICEIC to request that 'plug-in adaptors for light fittings' are mentioned in the next revision (probably due for amendment 1).

Good luck with measuring Ze at the design stage of a green field project. Yes Ze should be measured where possible but this is not always the case.

At the design stage we are forced to use the figures you originally quoted.

Reply to Zs and more Zs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock