Discuss Zs Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey folk. i have been doing some testing and up to now i have had no problems. however today i have been getting a reading of >2000 ohms when doing a Zs test. i have been searching my brain and evrything else for a reason for this but cant find anything. this reading i am getting is right through the whole installation from the individual DB right back to the Main panel. would really appreciate it if anyone has any reason behind this. thanks.

What was the Ze/Zdb reading?.....if it's across the board it suggests a loss of main earth. Is the meter working correctly as well?
What is the purpose of this test....I hope it's not an EICR....if you cant work out a high Zs reading?

getting the same at the main panel. its powered by a generator and everything was fine yesterday so i am unsure as to how this has happened today.
its an installation for camp accommodation.

what is the ambient temperature at the time of test, and the max operating temperature of time of test, it say s both of which will have an effect on conductor resistance

earth rods are intsalled around the gene. i am in afghanistan working and the ground isnt very good for getting a good Ze but i was still getting 0.15 ohms yesterday as a Ze reading so how this has changed overnight is beyond me

lol @ Mark. aye you're probably right. well it is somehow managed to rectify itself and i am now getting a Ze reading well within what it needs to be. think it might have been an issue with the meter but whoknows. thanks for your help guys.

earth rods are intsalled around the gene. i am in afghanistan working and the ground isnt very good for getting a good Ze but i was still getting 0.15 ohms yesterday as a Ze reading so how this has changed overnight is beyond me

I would have to beg to differ, if your getting Ra/Ze readings of 0.15 ohms!!!! ..lol!!!

I bet they're not using the short 3/8'' twigs for they're earth electrodes, more like the 10 foot 5/8'' or 3/4'' proper earth rods, and linking a good few of them out too...lol!!!

Reply to Zs Problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net