Discuss Zs tripping rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Exactly, and you'd hope that anyone who is carrying out these tests would actually understand what they are testing and the basic principle of how the tester performs the test.

I don't understand the mindset of just pushing the test button and writing the number down, what does it really achieve?

Well I have to plead guilty there, but when something doesn't function as it should, there's always a reason. And in this case, I suspect the neutral-earth fault, somewhere.

You'll know better than me, my manual for Loop Tests says, test current 4.0 A (at 230v) on Hi, and Pulsed on Lo (Megger 1730).

Not necessarily, I've only had the megger a few months and don't get much use out of it so am not so familiar with it as I should be.

The pulsed current I guess would be the 2 wire no trip?

Pulsed current for 3 wire low & 2 wire low.

Yeah I just read the manual, interesting.

I also noted how the manual talks about the possibility of RCD tripping even on low current tests, the possible cause and that an alternative method may need to be used.
I guess the OP didn't bother to read the manual for his tester!

Your a bit harsh davesparks, most blokes get their new playstation out and connected it up. When it doesn't work, only then will they read the instructions. Still learning now with my MFT.

Never had a prob tripping RCD's on the low test currents, other than when I installed a luminaire for a customer and did a Zs test, for old times' sakes, and tripped the RCD. It was only going back to basics, did I find a neutral-earth fault on the circuit, re hum dinger!

Guys, I'm not new to the trade, I know what my meter is testing and I'm not just pushing the button and hoping for the best.
My meter does not give me the option of 3 lead test or 2 lead lest although it will carry out the test with two leads.
P-le on low or hi
And p-n on hi only.

I have been testing correctly. I came on here to see if anyone has came across anything similar

Yeah I just read the manual, interesting.

I also noted how the manual talks about the possibility of RCD tripping even on low current tests, the possible cause and that an alternative method may need to be used.
I guess the OP didn't bother to read the manual for his tester!

Thing is Dave it's never happened before and I've tested many circuits/properties. Why now???? Why the 2 rcds????

Reply to Zs tripping rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net