Discuss Zs tripping rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would want to get this job sorted so would just do it the old way on a high loop test bypassing the RCD!

Then I would sort my MFT issue out IMO !

When I had a problem with my 1730 tripping various RCD’s with a two lead low test, Megger suggested that different RCD windings react differently to testing, and to swap the live and earth leads for the test (send current the other way through the RCD), and it worked. Would it be possible to swap live and earth on one of your Zs tests sending the current the other way through the RCD?

When I had a problem with my 1730 tripping various RCD’s with a two lead low test, Megger suggested that different RCD windings react differently to testing, and to swap the live and earth leads for the test (send current the other way through the RCD), and it worked. Would it be possible to swap live and earth on one of your Zs tests sending the current the other way through the RCD?
Yes I could try that. TBH I've just used the alternative method of test sent by tel on one of the first posts and that has worked. It's given me my readings.
Thanks tho if it happens again I'll try that definately.

If it's anything more than a firmware update, Meggers default repair charge is £220+carriage+vat. Just thought I'd mention that :eek: That does include calibration & firmware update. :)

jori 35 how is the land of my fathers, I would ring megger tell them the problem, and see what say and tell them its no point having
a tester if it can not do the proper functions like I did .

hi guys,
Hoping for a little advice.
Been working on a property this week and have been having trouble getting zs readings as it trips the rcd on a 17th edition cu.
Property is pme. I've tried testing idividual circuits one by one and completely disconnecting all the others but it still trips. It doesn't seem to matter what circuit is tested it trips on every one.
I've checked absolutely everything and all tests leading up are fine. Zs tests however trip rcd.
I've done a ramp test on rcd to check that and it's fine.
I've got a feeling it's a Dno issue but they have now confirmed there are no faults on the line. Anyone had similar issues.
Thanks in advance

Hi for anyone still interested in this post.
I had a similar problem after replacing a bathroom fan and wanted to Zs but it kept tripping the RCD. I new my tester was on the correct setting and working fine.
Went to the circuit origin where the rcd was located. It was a split board. Tested the load side of the RCD with a Zs test and it tripped.
Turned off all the circuits and tested again at same point and it didn't trip. Turned on the circuit I want to test and test again and it didn't trip. When back to where I wanted to test from at the fan and it didn't trip.
Something on one of the socket ciruits was back feeding some how.

Disconnect all relevant circuits and test the RCD in the c/u. I have had a couple of instances where brand new RCDs have been faulty. (speaks volumes of todays q.c. procedures).
I read somewhere in the dark distant past that electrical / electronic items fail in the first couple of weeks or last a lifetime.

Reply to Zs tripping rcd in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net