Discuss Zs, Ze how the tester works? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

firstly MCB and rcd do different jobs ,so if you asking about tripping RCDs when doing efli tests that cool or if you asking why we have maximum zs for tripping times that fine too , it just your overloading your self with questions and adding them together so it doesn't make sense when your responding , if we got off on the wrong foot sorry ,i always said i wouldnt do the "get a electrian in , that under part P etc response s so it my bad
I know mate i wasnt very clear we were just discussing the topic in college for our test and inspect exams so had a lot of clearing up that needed doing. I was asking why we have maximum Zs for tripping times and how an MCB or RCD would trip any quicker with lower Zs.

makes sense mate thanks
Another example for touch voltage would be take a bathroom with just a lighting circuit 6 amp type b mcb not rcd protected but supplementary equipotential bonding has been carried out.
If you wanted to test the affectivness of the bonding then a continuity test between exposed pipework and the cicrcuits cpc would need to be within 1.67 ohms before the max 50v touch voltage is exceeded as the formula would be 50v/ 30amps (to trip a 6amp type b mcb ) = 1.67 ohms.

Another example for touch voltage would be take a bathroom with just a lighting circuit 6 amp type b mcb not rcd protected but supplementary equipotential bonding has been carried out.
If you wanted to test the affectivness of the bonding then a continuity test between exposed pipework and the cicrcuits cpc would need to be within 1.67 ohms before the max 50v touch voltage is exceeded as the formula would be 50v/ 30amps (to trip a 6amp type b mcb ) = 1.67 ohms.
Ian, sorry I'm confused, where did the 30A come from in your calculation? I may have missed something, hence my question

I think he possibly means 50v/0.03 for 30 mA

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian, sorry I'm confused, where did the 30A come from in your calculation? I may have missed something, hence my question
A 6amp type b mcb will trip instantaneously at around 3-5x rated current.
6amp x 5 is 30amps for type B.
That's where the 50v/ 30 comes in for that particular type of mcb.

A 6amp type b mcb will trip instantaneously at around 3-5x rated current.
6amp x 5 is 30amps for type B.
That's where the 50v/ 30 comes in for that particular type of mcb.
As the max zs is 7.28 ohms on a 6amp mcb type b it's 230x cmin 0.95=218.5volts /30amps=7.28 as this is max zs value for the mcb.

There are as Westward said, two parts to an MCB.
The magnetic and the thermal.
The thermal part and fuses work because they get hot.
Fuses get hot and melt.
MCBs have a bi metal strip which heats up and bends until it trips the switch mechanism.
The bi metal strip is made up of two metals which expand at different rates, as the strip heats up it bends towards the side which has the metal with the lowest expansion rate.
This is similar to an indicator relay in a car or motorbike.

Reply to Zs, Ze how the tester works? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock