Zs

Discuss Zs in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R1 + R2 is a multi layered test, the only true value is done on design. as a designer you will design a circuit and to ensure several pieces of criteria you do a calculated R1+R2 to confirm the cable.

On an EIC say a rewire, most electricians will before they start connecting up the CU, do IR tests and also the R1+R2 test, this should give you a very good indication of condition as the R1 + R2 should be very close to a calulated one. But of course you may think you have installed 25mteres of cable, but in fact you have installed 31 metres, so the measured and the calculated one will be close but never the same. You also have to take into account quality of conductor and if doing it via a socket then even that.

On a PIR then I'm afraid your in the lap of the gods. it can depend on so many factors. You may not be able to disconnect the supply so you only do a R2 test. The earths in the CU are not sequencial and so you have to clip the bar as you did in your test, and then you get those parallel paths, but that is what you put on your schedule of Results. In many cases you will not have diagrams. let alone design charts to compare so you just have to guestimate a lot.

Hi ringer,

Thanks for repling,

So ,if there wasnt any steel conduit etc ,just normal pvc cable connected to the earth bar and you did the R1+R2 test as with croc clip attched to earth bar and line of theselected circuit, then did the standard test at extremity of that circuit ,would there be any parrel paths from anywhere effecting the reading?

Kind Regards

Locket

Have you asked your tutor why?

Just think about it. by clipping direct onto the earth bar you are connecting to all the other CPC's on that board. If that Earth bar is the installations MET, then you will also have the bonding conductors to the services, may not be gas but certainly water, that will also be on there, so you have all those parallel paths.

Yes as your conduit seems to have CPC installed and your bonding conductors as in post #37.

Hi Malcolmsfield,

Thanks for replying, you mentioned might not be able to disconnect the supply , not qiute sure how you would conduct the the test with live supply? R2 only you mentioned on the earthed bar.

Many Thanks

Locket

On a PIR there maybe times in a factory where you can not isolate a supply, you of course try to arrange a time, ie out of hours, early morning at night or weekends, but no it can not be switch off.

Then on your schedule of results you will see a R1 + R2 box and next to it you will see a R2 box. What you do is clip one end of a long wander lead to your earth bar, and if it's a light circuit say, you connect the other end of you lead into you MFT and the other side of the meter.after you have either nulled it or taken the leads resistance, start taking measurements on the light fittings exposed conductive parts, once you got your highest reading that will be your R2 reading. The chances are that a switch will be your R2 reading, what this test does is confirm the continuity of the protective conductor and is Test Method 2

This threads never gonna end
:rolleyes:

You will notice that the illustrations in the OSG & GN3 have only one circuit in the consumer unit, hence no parallel paths, hence no need to illustrate it disconnected. They also appear to be thermoplastic multicore cables and not steel conduit or any other potentially parallel path providing wiring systems.....

Last edited:
Thanks for replying widdler,

I was wondering that and you have just confirmed it with the illustration,

I never thought that you could get parrallel paths effecting your reading when you do the Dead test R1+R2 (method one) connecting to the earth bar, and i thought it was just when you had metal conduit etc protecting the cable .
I wonder why we are not told at college then to discoonect cpc from earth bar when doing metod one?.

Many thanks for your feed back ,i must speak to my tutor after the holidays

regards

Locket

If you are testing in the workshop and you can see you just have T&E everywhere, then putting a little test lead on to the earth bar or clipping onto the earth bar can save you quite a bit of time disconnecting and reconnecting, especially if you are in some form of timed assessment.

Hi Pushrod,

I appreciate that but ii would have never thought i could be getting incorrect readings and i would have tesred like that in real life, because surely you would always disconnect to be on safe side and just test cpc disconnected knowing nothing else can encourage your readings.

All this gives me more questions then answers, It might be an incorrect R1+R2 reading on a all, but if it helps to keep the Total Zs reading lower, hence keeping within disconnection times to prevent electric shock ,does it really matter?

Thanks for your constant feedback

Locket

Sorry push should read what i write,

I started off saying that i would never have thought you can obtain parrallel path readings by using the test method two with croc clip on earth bar on a R1+R2 dead test, which would give you a lower reading .
Then i was thinking well it might be an incorrect R1+R2 measured reading by not disconnecting the cpc from earth at test, but does it really matter when overall, it can only contribute to a lower Zs reading, which means disconnection times can be met, lowering the electric shock risk.

Many Thanks

lOCKET

Got you now.

R1+R2 readings are fundamental when designing and installing. Checking them allows you to compare to design/check quality of installation. If you are doing an R1+R2 you would want it to be accurate.

When you have an existing installation ie you are doing a minor works or a like for like replacement/repair that is where the emphasis moves more to your Zs reading. :)

Reply to Zs in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock