Discuss 1.0mm against 1.5mm T&E lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Aggravated

Hi, to one and all, my first posting, as the title suggests, what do people think about the differences between the cables, I know that the circuits should be carefully designed and considered, insulation in lofts/walls, length of runs etc, but to my mind it should be 1.5mm. The cable manufacturers don't make single 1.0mm

Your comments are invited

welcome to the asylum. nothing wrong with using 1.0mm as long as the ccc is adequate and volt drop within limits. then again, some prefer to use 1.5mm anyway as it saves carrying additional cable on the van. choice is up to the installer.

Twin @ Earth in a domestic installation you say it should be 1.5mm .........why.

Even going through the thickest insulation a 1.00mm T+E will give you 6/7 amps and most protection devices for domestic lights are 5 so plenty there.

With the advent now in the building regs and the approved documents more and more installations will require green lighting and therefore LED.CFLs etc are going to be used more and so drop the loading even more.

Purely as a personal preference I would use 1.5mm for the loops and 1.mm for the switch drops, nothing to do with CCC factors simply for identification where you have 3 cables at a rose/switch

Hi, to one and all, my first posting, as the title suggests, what do people think about the differences between the cables, I know that the circuits should be carefully designed and considered, insulation in lofts/walls, length of runs etc, but to my mind it should be 1.5mm. The cable manufacturers don't make single 1.0mm

Your comments are invited

Yes they do you can buy 6241y single conductor + earth double insulated or 6181y single conductor double insulated in all sizes from 1mm²

i asked for single brown pvc the other day and when i got to job it was single brown no earth, could of cryed

Ive never used anything other than 1mm really. Design your circuits accordingly and keep them short there's nothing wrong with it.
any more than three 1.5's in a ceiling rose or two in a downlight is a nightmare.
Until someone shows me this is wrong, i wont change...

With CFL lamps, LED and the like being common place the load on lighting circuits is only going to become less.

Unless it's being run across a loft space or anywhere else it's going to potentially end up covered in insulation then I use 1mm.

No point wasting a valuable raw material like copper... Oh, and it's cheaper!

You can apply a similar argument for always installing 25mm tails at the CU!! More often than not, 25mm is just not needed, and won't be needed for the foreseeable future and beyond.

Wonder how many will admit to being cheapskates.

No, but I'll happily admit to being lazy. I can't be bothered with buying/stocking two sizes for lighting, so all I stock/use is 1.5mm. It's not to say there's any issue with using 1.0mm, or that I wouldn't use it, simply that I don't.

I don't have an issue with terminating 1.5mm as some have said, if anything I find the slightly stiffer cable easier to work with as it 'sits' better.

Unfortunately I'm only doing domestic at the moment so have no reason to stock 1.5

1mm will more than easily take the load of each floor of lights (few years time I wouldn't expect a entire house's lighting load to be more than 100w), might even drop down to 3amp MCBs....just because :lol:

Reply to 1.0mm against 1.5mm T&E lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock