Discuss 1 gang light switch with neon in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to this so appologies if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I was just wondering if any of you have come across a standard 1 gang light switch with a neon, and if so, where to get one from?
I've been scouting around but haven't found one as of yet.
My elderly neighbour has two separate attic spaces. He tells me his wife often goes up and when she comes down and closes up the hatch, she usually forgets to turn the lights off, so they often stay on for days at a time.
He's asked if I could possibly find switches for him with neons as a little reminder to turn the lights off.

Thanks

Hi guys, new to this so appologies if I'm posting in the wrong place.

I was just wondering if any of you have come across a standard 1 gang light switch with a neon, and if so, where to get one from?
I've been scouting around but haven't found one as of yet.
My elderly neighbour has two separate attic spaces. He tells me his wife often goes up and when she comes down and closes up the hatch, she usually forgets to turn the lights off, so they often stay on for days at a time.
He's asked if I could possibly find switches for him with neons as a little reminder to turn the lights off.

Thanks
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1...x-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=YoG6WrC2IrHS8AeyzJvoBw
The 20Amp would suit your needs, not sure if you can get a normal 6A lighting switch with a neon, some of the others my have some knowledge of them.

Like those, Marconi. Wonder why the illuminated one is marginally cheaper...
Only worry is if a less able person is in the loft and the lights go out...have to fumble way to top of a ladder in the dark...

I once had to work in a loft which had a mechanical run-back timer for the light switch, it could be set between 1 and 9 hours do you could turn it on at the start of the day and it stayed on for the whole day.

But then that was the somewhat large loft of the national maritime museum.

If I had the choice...
I'd go with a Butler, tbh...
he could go round every evening and switch everything off!
and could double as a chauffer...pick me up from the pub...
really liking this idea!
Forget remote switching...just tell George!

Timer switch could be an issue as I know they have a little gym setup kind of thing in the loft.
Long period timer switch would be a more likely option, but obviously price pending.
I highly doubt he wants to spend much on such a small issue.

Apologies if I come across thick now, (I'm still very much learning the trade) but if were to install a PIR switch in the loft, would I have to make it 2 way with the existing switch on the landing or would it just be fed direct from the light?

Manufacturers generally do not make ligths switches with neon because certain wiring arrangements make the operation of the neon impossible. I think BG do outside switches with neons.
But probably not ideal for inside a house.
The application of a neon would be dependent on the wiring arrangement, Pete has provided the simplest solution but is dependent on having a neutral available. If you installed a grid switch you could install a neon indicator module on a 2 gang plate. Without a neutral most options are limited.

Reply to 1 gang light switch with neon in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock