Discuss 1 switch in to 2 switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Div Higgins

I have one switch in the hall controlling 3 lights , 2 in the hall and 1 in the attic. I want a seperate switch to control the light in the attic so would I cut the cable going from the switch to the light and connect it via a junction box with cables for a switch and light in the attic

Really depends on how its been wired, it could just be connected of the back of one of the other lights and just have one switch wire.

I see you are up north,I am sure there is someone on here who would be local to you who can sort this out for a reasonable fee.

Really depends on how its been wired, it could just be connected of the back of one of the other lights and just have one switch wire.

I see you are up north,I am sure there is someone on here who would be local to you who can sort this out for a reasonable fee.
Yes as far as I can see the attic light is coming off one of the hall lights. Inside the switch there is there is a yellow in 1 way and a red in 2 way I have just realised there is also a switch down stairs. There is a black and blue in connector block and taped up also

Attachments

• 1 switch in to 2 switches image - EletriciansForums.net
    image.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 90
It is all very simple stuff mate and a spark worth half his salt would do this job in no time if its all accessible, trying to explain on here what you need to do is hard and will probably confuse you further.
Do you own a voltage tester ?
I would suggest paying some pennies for an electrician and its not a big job mate if the circuit is already safe and sound!

JRC said he would have your attic light done within at least 7 trips to your house providing its not windy and the leafs are flapping near your supply cables.
And if all else fails one of us will sort it for him for a grand!!!
HA ha ha. wonder if he reads this stuff the poor sod. Or if he is still fault finding ?

Last thing I'm going to ask. Is it possible to take a link from the two way switch in to 1 gang 1 way switch and take the cable up to the attic light

Last thing I'm going to ask. Is it possible to take a link from the two way switch in to 1 gang 1 way switch and take the cable up to the attic light

You can do as you please.... providing your light has a live and neutral it will work. Whether its safe or not is another thing

You can do as you please.... providing your light has a live and neutral it will work. Whether its safe or not is another thing

- - - Updated - - -

I passed a JRC van this morning

Were the boys in there within neon screwdrivers, pat testers and scissors for leafs ???

- - - Updated - - -

Were the boys in there within neon screwdrivers, pat testers and scissors for leafs ???
LMFAO haha

Reply to 1 switch in to 2 switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock