Discuss 10.8Kw shower on 6mm² T&E in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

I noticed today when wiring up switch for shower the supply is in 6mm². The load cable is 10mm².
The shower rating is 10.8Kw. So we have a load that is 47a on 6mm² the OCPD being 40a 60898 type B. Interestingly on the new installation (rewire) they had recently the particular cct. on the schedule of test results it has the supply cable as 10mm², which it is not!

I am firstly, crap at visually identifying cables and would normally measure with a micrometer and calculate the size, not having (or being able to find it!) today I thought I would quietly go away with the bit of cable(s) and do so at home. Despite the foregoing I am 90% certain of the sizes. Before you ask, I am still looking for the ......... thing!

I am thinking (as people keep saying) you can overload a circuit where it is a fixed load, and that 47a is the max 6mm² can carry, The MCB being at 40a could only be a nuisance pro tem, so I do not see an immediate problem but this is not satisfactory longer term. As well they will never have it on full load as I ran it at full load for 10 mins you can't hold your hand under it!

I hesitate to steam in as they have just had a rewire and I want to be absolutely sure of my facts before I issue this observation to the client as there will no doubt be quite a furore when the proverbial hits the fan!
Soooo...what do you think? if you bothered to read this far. And if you did you get a free guardian angel til you wear it out!

6.0 has a solid cpc, 10.0 is stranded. To me it is incorrect as you would have difficulty running the cable through a dwelling to adhere to an installation method where it would have sufficient current carrying capacity.
Stand by.

Sorry to say but being 90% sure of the cable size is not enough assurance that any advice you give to the client is accurate,all the thoughts on the loading of the cable is only valid when you hit 100%

Typical of me,the next post made mine a load of bunkum
Only 99% though ? Still not enough :)

I'd try and tell the client that such a powerful shower is unnecessary, uses more than half the power that the house supply can deliver and is really expensive to run, that might do the trick. :)

QUOTE="Leesparkykent, post: 1248249, member: 68130"]10.8KW is 10.8KW the resistance of the element isn't going to change.[/QUOTE]

Unless you use the half power setting of course Lee. :D

I thought that's what you meant by saying
No, I was really more justifying why I did not say I can't connect this shower as your contractor has stated he put in 10mm² and in fact he has installed 6mm² which is not able to take such a load, in the sense of it is not a national emergency immediately but will have to be rectified as soon as practibly possible.

You have a load of 47A(nominal), a supply cable that can take 47A (if installed suitably) you have overcurrent protection of 40A.
The cable is suitably protected by the breaker and so does not present a hazard, however the circuit is installed with the breaker designed to be overloaded which is not acceptable.

A circuit is not permitted to be be overloaded with a fixed load; it is only that if there is a fixed load that the overcurrent, as opposed to the short circuit, protection is not actually required to be in place. i.e the cable must be able to handle the fixed load but the circuit breaker does not necessarily have to be installed to protect the cable from overload, though it is a good idea if it does; especially in a domestic situation.

The easiest solution here would be to increase the breaker to 50A so that it is not overloaded.
However this does require the 6mm² supply cable to be capable of dissipating the generated heat which requires it to be in plaster or on an open surface at the minimum (method C). This would comply with the regulations but not be the best solution, just one that could be implemented easily.

Brilliant @Richard Burns thanks for your input. A tricky concept well explained. However now I have verified the cable sizes I will inform the client(s) the cable is not suitable for the load. Consequently either a new supply in 10mm², or a lower power shower will have to be installed. What worries me is that the house has been rewired and the EIC states it is 10mm² installed whereas it is 6mm² installed and looking at calculated figures for R1/R2 for these cables suggests strongly that the R1/R2 recorded is for 6mm². So the company installing and issuing the cert., well its going to get a bit messy somewhere down the line.

The falsification of the EIC is cause for concern and does appear to have been a bit pointless.
I assume that someone installed the wrong supply cable and this was only noticed once the switch was being connected and they decided to cover up the mistake rather than correct it, which is a foolish approach.
Dropping the shower rating to 8.5kW would ensure a compliant circuit (assuming the 6mm² is suitably installed).
I wish you luck on the next steps as the customer invariably thinks it is you (who is costing them) who are at fault.

It seems unlikely that the person installing the circuit,would use two different sizes of cables,so i would hazard a guess that the 6mm is original...just a guess.

Reply to 10.8Kw shower on 6mm² T&E in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock