Discuss 10 Bedroom house rewire. Ring or radial? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Why a hot potato?

Because they need to be licenced / registered with the local authorities, inspected and subject to more stringent tests etc than a normal domestic property.

A single room in my patch (in a scruffy area) can easily be "worth" £500 per month, so convert the lounge and dining room and hey presto a 3 bed house is now a 5 bed HMO - so £2500 per month or £30,000 per year .....

Then there are cash payments and loss of tax revenues

I could go on

Because they need to be licenced / registered with the local authorities, inspected and subject to more stringent tests etc than a normal domestic property.

A single room in my patch (in a scruffy area) can easily be "worth" £500 per month, so convert the lounge and dining room and hey presto a 3 bed house is now a 5 bed HMO - so £2500 per month or £30,000 per year .....

Then there are cash payments and loss of tax revenues

I could go on
we had a landlord try convert their 3 bed house to a hmo, they didnt split the ring upstairs where all the rooms are though lol, still it will be something for the tenants to fight over when the bill comes in

Guys, I'm wiring a ten bedroom house which has 4 floors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as fat as I know, new regs says to keep each room on a radial. So shall I keep each room on a radial or have a few rings on each floor after calculating the maximum demand??
What new reg it that? what reg are you referring to that gives you that impression? however, if that is the/your design there is nothing wrong with it it is in my view a bit OTT unless there is more to this house than a family house.

Because they need to be licenced / registered with the local authorities, inspected and subject to more stringent tests etc than a normal domestic property........
Do they have specific extra requirements on the electrical side?

Do they have specific extra requirements on the electrical side?
I don't know about "requirements" but I've just rewired a house which is being turned into an HMO - they wanted the fire detection to comply with LD1, emergency lighting on the escape route and in the lounge and kitchen, and for some reason the lighting in those areas permanently on.

we had a landlord try convert their 3 bed house to a hmo, they didnt split the ring upstairs where all the rooms are though lol, still it will be something for the tenants to fight over when the bill comes in

Why .......... if the tenancy agreement says the bills will be split evenly , then evenly split they will be..............

There is no requirement for separate circuits in bedrooms AFAIAA

Does the fire detection equipment and emergency lighting fall under the 7671 electrical installation regs or under building regs?

Why .......... if the tenancy agreement says the bills will be split evenly , then evenly split they will be..............

Generally speaking an 'official HMO' (as opposed to a house share between friends) would be occupied by a certain type of person - the kind of person who needs somewhere warm and safe to sleep as opposed to someone who has chosen to live there.
The rents are often inclusive of bills since you don't get any extra housing benefit to cover them, and to make things simpler.

Murdoch, are you still assuming this is nothing more than a large family house as when I did four large houses down Ascote as the floor area was over a certain area it had to be an LD1 system under the building regs (at the time) nothing regarding emergency lighting.

what if 1 tenant is operating a grow factory and the other 2 rooms have t.vs, bedside lamps etc?

not exactly an even split is it

Murdoch, are you still assuming this is nothing more than a large family house as when I did four large houses down Ascote as the floor area was over a certain area it had to be an LD1 system under the building regs (at the time) nothing regarding emergency lighting.

No ........... its Marvo's question about HMO's that has taken it a bit off topic

stopshout.jpg

Reply to 10 Bedroom house rewire. Ring or radial? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net