Discuss 100 A MCCB feeding DB with various RCBO's tripping before they do? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

PatH

-
Reaction score
Hi
I have a problem on a site that I have inherited.
The fault is that a 100A MCCB is tripping indeterminately.
The MCCB feeds a DB which has several cct’s none any higher than 32A and all cct’s are RCBO’s the RCBO’s are not tripping yet the MCCB is.
The MCCB has been changed recently.
Ahead of connecting up a Power Quality Digital Storage Oscilloscope which incidentally I haven’t got.
Any ideas?

PatH

Check that it's not a poorly fitted lug or termination on the MCCB getting hot when under load.

I'm going to assume this is a 3 phase MCCB, if so have you checked the load balance (eg, is there one phase grossly higher loaded than the other two phases, does it have adjustable parameters, if so are the settings correct? Does it have earth fault protection, again is the setting(s) correct....

If all the above is fine then take regular amp clamp readings throughout the day, or hire a power analyser, because it would seem that on at least one phase the MCCB is seeing an overload....

I'm going to assume this is a 3 phase MCCB, if so have you checked the load balance (eg, is there one phase grossly higher loaded than the other two phases, does it have adjustable parameters, if so are the settings correct? Does it have earth fault protection, again is the setting(s) correct....

If all the above is fine then take regular amp clamp readings throughout the day, or hire a power analyser, because it would seem that on at least one phase the MCCB is seeing an overload....

Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments
I have tried most everything that you have mentioned
Loading on the 3 phases equal
Terminations are tight
The MCCB is not adjustable
The temperature of the cables are not excessive
The MCCB is the magnetic type so it is susceptible to a current crest factor 141.14amps on this breaker.
I have a suspicion that it may be this that is the problem. I also have the suspicion that the MCCB trips on start up in the morning. (This is very hard to judge as it does not happen every day) One of the cct’t from the DB feeds a gondola with a number of phones, chargers and associated electronic equipment. I did ask the store to leave this cct off for a fortnight to see if the problem went but they had various visitors in which they could not carry out this request. I have tested this cct for Zs and IR and all is fine also the RCCBo does not trip on this cct.
I think I probably will have to clamp the phases as the store starts up in the morning and turns everything on.

PatH

Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments
I have tried most everything that you have mentioned
Loading on the 3 phases equal
Terminations are tight
The MCCB is not adjustable
The temperature of the cables are not excessive
The MCCB is the magnetic type so it is susceptible to a current crest factor 141.14amps on this breaker.
I have a suspicion that it may be this that is the problem. I also have the suspicion that the MCCB trips on start up in the morning. (This is very hard to judge as it does not happen every day) One of the cct’t from the DB feeds a gondola with a number of phones, chargers and associated electronic equipment. I did ask the store to leave this cct off for a fortnight to see if the problem went but they had various visitors in which they could not carry out this request. I have tested this cct for Zs and IR and all is fine also the RCCBo does not trip on this cct.
I think I probably will have to clamp the phases as the store starts up in the morning and turns everything on.

PatH
Did you just make that bit up?

Unless your peak load current is very close to the MCCB's 100A or unless there's large motor drives on the load I doubt that crest factor is the problem.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your commentsI have tried most everything that you have mentioned
Loading on the 3 phases equal Terminations are tightThe MCCB is not adjustable
The temperature of the cables are not excessive What about the ambient temp of it's enclosure?
The MCCB is the magnetic type so it is susceptible to a current crest factor 141.14amps on this breaker. All standard MCCB's have both thermal and magnetic element trip release's
Ihave a suspicion that it may be this that is the problem. I doubt that assumtion I also have the suspicion that the MCCB trips on start up in the morning. (This is very hard to judge as it does not happen every day) Wouldn't the store manager know if the DB is tripping out first thing in the morning One of the cct’t from the DB feeds a gondola with a number of phones, chargers and associated electronic equipment. I did ask the store to leave this cct off for a fortnight to see if the problem went but they had various visitors in which they could not carry out this request. I have tested this cct for Zs and IR and all is fine also the RCCBo does not trip on this cct. I think I probably will have to clamp the phases as the store starts up in the morning and turns everything on.

Any Air Conditioning in this store by any chance?? If so is it a central unit or more than one smaller split AC units?
What's the max current draw on the 3 phases that you have measured?

Why not get this store to invest in a weeks hire of a power analyser, a decent analyser will a clear indication of what's going on within several parameters, not just current draw.... The forum sponser hires such analysers, give them a ring for a quote

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I hired one it was only £200 for the week including delivery, but that wasn't from the sponsor so I dare not mention the name of the company.

Any Air Conditioning in this store by any chance?? If so is it a central unit or more than one smaller split AC units?
What's the max current draw on the 3 phases that you have measured?

Why not get this store to invest in a weeks hire of a power analyser, a decent analyser will a clear indication of what's going on within several parameters, not just current draw.... The forum sponser hires such analysers, give them a ring for a quote

Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments it gives me a little more to work with. The store manager has called our engineer out at various times of the day and to be fair I am not sure that they pay that much attention to the gondolas until someone points it out to them. I have asked them to monitor this but there are more than one shift manager and they rotate their duties. They are more concerned with sales etc so that is the situation with this problem. I have only visited site twice. (I tend to inherit the problems nobody else can figure out) And I have simulated start up on one occasion but the MCCB did not trip. I am trying to figure out the common denominator and what makes the conditions just right. There are several split ac systems on site but I am sure they are on their own dedicated DB (I must verify this) and fed from another MCCB. I may not be back on site for a couple of weeks due to other commitments but I will post with what I find (for anyone that's curious).

PatH

Reply to 100 A MCCB feeding DB with various RCBO's tripping before they do? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock