Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss 100A DP Isolator Installation Between Meter and CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. jaydub

jaydub Electrician's Arms

Hi guys,

When installing a new CU does anyone ever install a 100A double pole isolator switch between the meter and the consumer unit?

Very often I come across 16mm tails which need to be upgraded to 25mm so I join the old tails to new in a Henley block and get the DNO to come and upgrade their side at their convenience.

Instead of using a henley block could I use an isolator instead?

In anyones opinion would there be any disadvantages to this?

I wouldhave thought having an isolator would be very handy but the meter guys hardly ever bother putting one in, even now.

They're also relatively inexpensive. Another thing, I cannot seem to finda 2-module metal enclosure so would this would be okay in a plastic enclosure? That to me seems like a bit of grey area.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

2. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

The meter installers will never put one in as this will increase cost.

And yes it does make sense to fit an isolator, especially as a lot of smart meters will detect when the fuse has been pulled and may not allow the power to come back on.

Plenty of switches out there to choose from: Wylex 100A DP Supply Isolator - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYREC2S.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o1&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=WYREC2S&product_partition_id=174057653827&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=CjwKCAiA-KzSBRAnEiwAkmQ157Kt_x523muqnFlf4y4TXEAW-EshYmwvjADqoV6nxokuHPGgm8Vz1hoCdV0QAvD_BwE

3. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

When the initial spec for the smart meters came out there was an isolator as part of the requirement. Subsequent cost-cutting saw it removed as a requirement. How dumb is that?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Why are you changing the tails?

Countless homes have 60A fuses and some 80A so 16mm are OK.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. jaydub

Thanks for your reply Strima, I've just ordered one in to my local wholesaler, so will give that a go!

6. jaydub

Murdoch, does it not specify in BS7671 that all supplies must now be 25mm regardless? Maybe I have misinterpreted this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Ian1981

Ian1981 Forum Mentor

Generally the only time 25mm tails are a must In domestic are new builds where the local DNO requests 25mm tails and a 16mm earthing conductor as standard ,usually because a 100amp fuse has been fitted.

9. jaydub

Fair enough guys, thanks.

That hager one looks smart. Any idea on price?

10. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Metal or plastic. I've asked for my scheme technical a few times now as to whether such an isolator needs to comply with reg 421.1.201, and the response has been somewhat vague.

In fairness it would perhaps be more clear cut, where such an isolator would be installed in a domestic property. Not perhaps in an outside mounted meter box, but they would not give definitive answer. It would be down to 'the designer to risk access'. When the 18th draft was up for comment, I did suggest a better definition than 'similar switchgear'. Something to consider perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I pay about £20 inc from my wholesaler.

12. Andy78

Andy78 Respected Member

I've seen enough official guidance to convince me that a DP isolator does not fall under the wording or intent of that reg.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Midwest

I haven't, can you share?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

15. Midwest

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1