Discuss 100A Series 7 Henley cut-off fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 119116

Hello.

Before I bother a professional with a call out, could I ask for some advice on here.

Our cat managed to dislodge the cut-off fuse on our board, shutting the power off. I pushed it back in and everything's back to normal. But in doing so, it made some rather nasty noises and it doesn't fit flush to the unit.

I'm worried about fire risk and electrocution if I tamper with it. It has an anti-tamper tie so I'm presuming it's dangerous.

Should I have it replaced by a professional? (And boxed in to stop the cat doing it again).

It's a new build (2003) house with a Crabtree fuse box.

Thanks in advance.
Will

100A Series 7 Henley cut-off fuse IMG_20190523_092040 - EletriciansForums.net

It wont need replacing, it just hasn't sat back in properly.

Electricians, strictly speaking aren't allowed to touch these. (Although I'm sure some electricians that are registered to a certain scheme are, sure someone will name it). However, most will take this fuse out an put it back.

The DNO are responsible for this, give them a call but it might cost you. DNO are for example electricity north west.

I guess, you pushed it back in with everything in your "fuse box" switched on, or the fuses in place. The noises you heard was arching due to electrical load, you may have welded the contacts a little, hence why it doesn't go all the way back in.

I wont advice what I would do, because if it has become slightly damaged and breaks, you've got a real hazard in front of you.

Clever cat call your supplier and explain, I would like to be a fly on the wall, the noise you heard was probably due to the fuse was pushed back under load conditions, arcing as it's known as, should be OK, but if you are that concerned, call your Electrical supplier, as I explained

Yes, the cat likes to hide in the stair cupboard for some reason. He's done it before. It sounds like it might need attention. The cut-off fuse that is, I couldn't care less about the cat. Although, he might disappear in a blue flash if it happens again.

Thanks for the advice.

what sort of cat have you got?
those fuses are quite hard to pull out "apparently as others have told me"
I am guessing a tiger or similar??

Reply to 100A Series 7 Henley cut-off fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock