Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss 10mA rcd tripping on Zs test in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. polo1

polo1 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    GW Electrical & Security
    As above, taking a Zs measurement on a circuit covered by a 10mA rcd. Tripping the rcd on a no trip, three lead test using a Megger 1721. Is there a change in the settings I’ve forgotten about to allow a Zs to be taken. Oh, testing at a socket rather than source.
    TIA

2. Ian1981

Ian1981 Forum Mentor

No trip test tests at 15mA( or there abouts depending on the meter ) so it will trip a 10mA device

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sintra

Sintra The Innkeeper Staff Member Admin

Link out line and cpc at the end of the circuit and test using no trip setting at the device.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ian1981

Ian1981 Forum Mentor

If your going to the trouble of linking the line and cpc at the end of the circuit then you may as well measure the R1+R2 and add it to the Ze/zs/zdb or am I missing something ?

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. polo1

polo1 Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    GW Electrical & Security
    For some reason I thought there was an option to reduce the test current on the Megger, but it appears there isn’t.
    So Ze +(R1+R2) it is.
    Thanks guys.
    PS can’t remember the last time I had to test with a 10mA rcd in place!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sintra

If you have the line and cpc linked for R1+R2 then for the sake of a few extra seconds just test the Zs at the device instead of calculating.

7. Ian1981

Ian1981 Forum Mentor

Is that an approved test method?
    Never seen that method before, not in gn3 anyway.

8. Sintra

Not sure about GN3 but it is in the book "Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations" It was common practice before the introduction of no trip settings on meters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Loki

Loki Trainee Access

I know you can change the mA, see 5:40 onwards. 10mA is the minimum setting.

Edit: I've just looked through the megger manual & there's no mention of changing the trip current

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  10. PEG

PEG Respected Member

Yep,you would need about 5mA ....not sure that would warrant a good enough test...i think rubbing me wooly jumper,produces more :)

11. SparkySy

SparkySy Regular EF Member

I tend to favour the link out and test at high current method, just because it's what I've done for years, and it gives me a more accurate measurement than the low current test most of the time, also it amazes me sometimes how much an rcd will influence the result if testing both way. BG rcds seem to be the worst for raising the Zs readings!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1