Discuss 110v transformer start up current in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

Will Russell

I've recently qualified and want to get myself set up with some new tools. I don't really fancy having some tools 110v and some 230v, if I can get away with it I'd prefer to have all 110v. However, I realise this isn't practical for domestic work as the transformer will probably take out the CB from the inrush current generated from it. So my question is, can you use 110v in a domestic situation without overloading the Breaker?

Normally fine from a ring final circuit. It's B20 radials which tend to trip half the time with a 3kVA Tx. As said if you reset it it's normally fine then. I have no 230V tools.

Consider Battery Operated - used to use 110v on site but now have a DeWalt 18V set and haven't looked back. 4Ah batteries or better easily last a day on a commercial site so will probably last a week on domestic jobs

Well 50% of the time it will trip and 50% of the time it will trip as you try and reset it (scarring the s#£@ out of you because you forgot it does that sometimes)

My box of Combi/Impact Driver/SDS and 3 4Ah batteries has never tripped a breaker and probably weighs less than a trannie (a stepdown one (before anyone makes a lewd comment)

My box of Combi/Impact Driver/SDS and 3 4Ah batteries has never tripped a breaker and probably weighs less than a trannie (a stepdown one (before anyone makes a lewd comment)
i know its not my thread but am thinking of getting a cordless sds what it's like ,

Last edited:
I can understand the OP not wanting to double up on corded tools,110V being good for nearly all applications.
Why not modify the tranny with a thermistor? You-tube has various info-vids.

I did a 3.3kVA two tool TX 20 odd years ago,with the thought that i would only use it on a domestic supply situation,but it has been used to death. Heavy breakers,intermittent,overnight pumping,it has never failed.

I have not checked,but there must be new transformers available,with integral devices,to mitigate against inrush problems.

I wouldn't swap mine,for Mr.Izzard,it's done more miles ;)

I've recently qualified and want to get myself set up with some new tools. I don't really fancy having some tools 110v and some 230v, if I can get away with it I'd prefer to have all 110v. However, I realise this isn't practical for domestic work as the transformer will probably take out the CB from the inrush current generated from it. So my question is, can you use 110v in a domestic situation without overloading the Breaker?
Depends what type and size the breaker is

get a 1.5kV tranny. who wants to lug a 3.3 all over the place.

...Not a problem,for a man who collects anvils...;)

Yep,a 1.5 would be a better bet. The problem with thinking that domestic only,means 230V,is you will end up with extension leads,then you may be working next to other trades,then the customers children come home to "check" how you're doing...for the sake of a couple of plugging moves,risks are reduced.

Sooner or later,you will be working at a customers property,with a 15th Wylex DB,and if the cordless isn't up to it,you may be up a ladder,drilling away,your lead trailing round the garden,when the neighbours kids decide to try skipping,with the new blue rope...

Lot of decent answers! Ive got cordless tools already but sometimes you do just need the extra power and runtime of corded tools. I had thought about just downsizing to a 1.5kva to see if it would sort the problem but the thermistor idea sounds like a winner to me, will definitely be looking into it.

i know its not my thread but am thinking of getting a cordless sds what it's like ,
18v SDS doesn't quite have the kick as a decent 110v but I've never had any problems (Have borrowed a 32v Hitachi that seemed as powerful as any 110v I've ever used). The convenience is key to me as long as you keep a spare battery on charge. No leads to drag around, no transformer if you're doing domestic, and no ********* unplugging your lead if you're on commercial

Reply to 110v transformer start up current in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock