Discuss 110V wall mounted sockets... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-Matt

-
Reaction score
Guys, i have a customer who wants 4 16A 110V sockets on a wall.

These are to be used for charging scissor lifts, so likely for all 4 to be plugged in at end of the day and on for many hours, so would be looking at the continuous rating on the transformers.

Im not actually sure how much power each charger requires (nor is the customer) so going on the theory each requires 16A at 110V.
Unless anyone has any idea what sort of power these use?

However I'm really struggling to find anything suitable that is hard wired and wall mountable.

This is the sort of thing i want:
Defender 5kVA Wall-Mounted Transformer - 4 x 16A Outlets, 110V - https://www.tester.co.uk/defender-5kva-wall-mounted-transformer-4-x-16a-outlets-110v

However the continuous rating is only 3.5kva.

It does not have to be 4 sockets in one unit, it could be two double units.
But i can't find any double units that are rated at 3.5kva continuous.
Or even one 8-10KVA transformer, then standard wall sockets, but struggling to find anything.

Anyone any ideas or advice on a solution that I've obviously missed...

Cheers

Typical scissor lift chargers seem to be around 25A @24V or 15A @ 48V output, which at 80% efficiency gives a maximum AC input power in the order of 25*29/0.8=900W to 15*58/0.8=1100W. For power factor corrected chargers, the transformer VA rating only needs to equal the wattage and the load will be about 10A each at 110V, but if there are any less sophisticated chargers in use that are not, you would need to allow maybe another 20%. There might of course be larger chargers in use, and the general trend is towards faster charging.

Something like this:
TA/P/3/10/S6 | Blakley Electrics - https://www.blakley.co.uk/products/transformers/construction-site-transformers-3kva-to-20kva/site-power-transformers/tap310s6

We've had big problems with contractors trying to charge scissor lifts - they'll grab a centre tap transformer meant for a drill or something and plug in whatever leads they can find, two scissor lifts off one transformer if needs must. They come back to them in the morning and the brand new extension reel which they didn't unwind has melted, the transformer has burnt out and neither scissor lift has charged.

Certainly not all of them. Most (all?) of the ones I have seen are only 110V.
Any charger I've come across has been.

NEXTLIFT-798-03.jpg

Fair enough. What I should have said is that any of the hired MEWPs e.g. from Easi-uplifts/Height for Hire or HSS or whoever are only fitted with 110V plugs. Normally the writing on the charging unit is unreadable due to years of abuse on building sites!
Yeah, we own a couple, so when ever I was tasked to set up a charging station, I opened it up to look at what sort of amps would be required, I seen the dual voltage, took a sigh of relief and stuck a 230v blue commando plug on it and jobs a good one. The other trades were delighted they no longer had to lug "the yellow box" about.

Reply to 110V wall mounted sockets... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net