Discuss 110v yellow site transformer in reverse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ayjay

a few years back i installed the electrics on a site in weymouth including the site supply ( large 110 temp transformer)
the carpenter had a yellow site transformer but it was wired/converted in reverse(ar
se about face)
110 in 220 out
his tools were all 220 ac
just thought i,d post this as a point of discussion lads
boys need not reply

Before all the tool company's introduced radios into their cordless ranges , I was led to believe that if you got hold of the control gear out of a 110v site light it was possible to use it as a step up transformer to use in your radio .
I don't know if it was true as i prefer not to have a radio on site so never got around to checking it out ?

That has just reminded me of someone who used to go in my local where i used to live , i am not sure what his trade is ( shop fitter maybe ? ) but he was boasting one night how all his gear was 240v but with 110 plugs on them and his site transformer was just wired straight through and how much he had saved not having to buy 110v gear .
He was giving large and laughing about if another trade robbed or borrowed a one of his leads without asking they would end up cooking their gear and that would teach them ! Chancer !!!

Before all the tool company's introduced radios into their cordless ranges , I was led to believe that if you got hold of the control gear out of a 110v site light it was possible to use it as a step up transformer to use in your radio .
I don't know if it was true as i prefer not to have a radio on site so never got around to checking it out ?

seen it a lot of times.....mainly on bigger sites, plasterers do it quite a lot, they usually get a 110v site light on a stand and put in an extra light gear tray, then flip it over and use that to feed into a figure 8 radio power lead connected into it, then they bring in a radio and plug that into the light... seems to be a thing with painters and plasterers...

I always used 240 volt gear on site (in disguise of course)
I have never bought an 110 volt item in all the years in this trade

H+S ugh
icon11.png

That has just reminded me of someone who used to go in my local where i used to live , i am not sure what his trade is ( shop fitter maybe ? ) but he was boasting one night how all his gear was 240v but with 110 plugs on them and his site transformer was just wired straight through and how much he had saved not having to buy 110v gear .
He was giving large and laughing about if another trade robbed or borrowed a one of his leads without asking they would end up cooking their gear and that would teach them ! Chancer !!!
I have also seen a joiner do this on a building site.............what a crank he was

The big issue here is the transformer not only lowers the voltage but takes the earth potential off, to give a safer working enviroment

Reply to 110v yellow site transformer in reverse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock