Discuss 12 volt timer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Golman

Hi, I've just bought a small 12 volt digital timer to use as part of a lighting set up for some hen cabins. This particular one is a 16 amp YNAP model YP109A, there are lots for sale on the internet but most appear to be model CN101A which appears to be identical but only 10 amps I think. The wiring diagram supplied doesn't actually state which are the negative or positive terminals but they are marked on the timer itself so in theory there shouldn't be a problem. I've programmed it, which can be done using the internal battery and connected it up to a 12volt battery but I'm getting nothing at all, not on manual or through the timer switch. The odd thing is that the other two wiring diagrams shown on the instructions, which are for slightly different timers both show the + and - the opposite way round to mine and practically all the videos I've watched also show the same, although these appear to mostly CN101A's as far as I can tell. I'm not keen to try mine wired this way for fear of doing damage, at least not until I have a little more knowledge on the matter.
My questions are, has anyone had dealings with these timers? am I doing something wrong or have I bought a faulty unit? are they the same timer apart from the different amps, if so should mine be wired the same as the others regardless of what it says on the timer, it seems unlikely to me but I'm no expert.
Any help or advice would be very welcome.
Many Thanks---Golman

Hi tazz, thanks, yes it does have a c/r button. These timers are available all over the place under 12volt timers on eBay, amazon etc, they are cheap and cheerful Chinese imports but by all accounts they normally work very well. The instructions for setting them up are a bit fuddled due to translation but not bad to follow. It's just this business of polarity, am I missing something or is it faulty!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Press the c/r button 4 times, this is a button lock feature.
Press prog, (first pro 1 on) enter day, hour, min.....press Prog (2nd off) enter day, hour min. And so on. When finished press clock button and press c/r 4 times to lock.
Power up + & - or if marked with ac symbol, polarity does not matter. Note timer will not operate with no power.
once powered up, press c/r 4 times, press top manual button to select auto, on, off. Red led will come on in on position or when auto is timed on.

Thanks tazz, I've followed you instructions and had a modicum of success, the manual side works ok but I now realize that the buffon needs pressing twice in succession to switch either on or off. The timer itself hasn't work at all after many attempts so I must presume this part of it is faulty and I doubt if I can do much about it.
Many thanks for your help-------golman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 12 volt timer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net