Discuss 12v garden lighting help before i start! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dec

-
Reaction score
Hi i'm looking for some guidance on a garden lighting project before i start. I'm hoping to install a sets of 12v led lawn lights [5 lights, 5w each], with a potential cable length of 50+ meters.

Is 3183P 0.75mm rubber cable sufficient for this length of run [50+m]? What cable size would you recommend?

Is a 50w, 12v DC driver sufficient?

Can you see any issues with this set-up or things i should consider before i start?

Thanks,
Dec.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to answer this better but:
12v over 50+ meters... Not sure on the volt drop over that length for your cable, but I can imagine it might cause some problems.
What make/model of LED's are you using? So we can check to see if they have any voltage tolerance.
Also, what drive are you thinking of using.

LED's are Beeford, MR16 bulbs, only tolerance i can see is 2% power.
I hope to use the attached driver:
upload_2019-1-24_11-43-27.png

volt drop wouldbe the problem with 0.75mm cable.

I don't mess about with 12v, so I thought I'd check out the tinterweb..
There are some 12v sites. Here is one.
DC Cable Sizing Tool - Wire Size Calculator - MM2 & AWG - solar-wind.co.uk - http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

According to this you will need a lot bigger cable..
You have 25w@ 12v = 2A
You also have 2% tolerance.

upload_2019-1-24_13-1-41.png

"All cable sizes given on this page refer to single core HO7RNF rubber insulated cable, at an ambient temperature of 30 deg C, and a conductor temperature of 85 deg C max."

i would take 240V down close to the lights, then drop down to 12V.

As what @telectrix says above.
You may be buggered if your 5 LEDs are along the full length of the 50 meter cable, in intervals..

25mm cable :eek:

Is that calculator correct? Per the calculator i would need to drop the run to 5 meters for a 1.5mm cable!!!

Is that calculator correct?

Yes. You could try this one, but it gives you a 4% tolerance instead of 2%.

upload_2019-1-24_14-6-27.png

Only allows you to go up to 19 meters, then it gives you this
upload_2019-1-24_14-7-27.png

might be a better idea to use 240V LEDs, either GU10s or integrated IPX6 fittings

12v would have had been a nice handy DIY project .... 240v might require some assistance!

Reply to 12v garden lighting help before i start! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net