Discuss 12V LEDs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mich

Hi everyone,

I just joined, but I already have an irritating question. My client bought these MR16 LED lights for his kitchen - along other works I am to install them. The first one blew out immediately almost. I haven't dared put in the next yet, but I had no idea at the time what could have happened. I checked the fitting, the voltage, the wiring, all well.
Now I read the homepage that not all transformers are good.
WHAT??????
Why wouldn't any 12V transformer be good here?
Any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
For LED lamps you need an LED driver.....

An LED driver is a self-contained power supply that has outputs matched to the electrical characteristics of your LED or array of LEDs. There are currently no industry standards, so understanding the electrical characteristics of your LED or array is critical in selecting or designing a driver circuit. Drivers should be current-regulated (deliver a consistent current over a range of load voltages). Drivers may also offer dimming by means of pulse width modulation (PWM) circuits. Drivers may have more than one channel for separate control of different LEDs or arrays.

Existing transformers typically used with halogen spotlights can usually be used however there is one problem. Since the transformer expects one or more 30+ Watt bulbs to be connected to it, the voltage output when a few1 Watt LED spotlights are connected can exceed the transformer's 12V rating. LED spotlights are sensitive to voltage, with 13 to 13.5V being the typical absolute maximum useable before permanent damage to the bulbs occurs.

Reply to 12V LEDs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net