Discuss 12v MR16 to LED in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys, this feels like a bit of a "simple simon" question and despite having fitted hundreds of down lights, don't think I've done this before...

Customer changed existing 12v MR16 lamps for MR 4.5w leds. Didn't change the transformers though and is suffering from the leds flickering when on. She's keen to keep the existing MR leds 'cos "they cost me a fortune".

What I'm unsure of is do I have to put a driver at each downlight or is there a simple way to use one driver of sufficient capacity - a 50w driver would cover the total led load? Alternative is to use new GU10 leds and just change the lampholders and diss the trannies.
Haven't seen how the existing lights are fed/wired. Views?
Thanks
PS no dimmer involved

A common problem, LEDs do need a driver, if it is possible for you to join all the cabling so you could use one driver then that would be fine, however I actually prefer to have 3-4 max on one driver, even better one per driver, that said I have led lighting in my loft conversion and it is all run by one driver.

Cheers, that was what I was thinking, but for some reason was convincing myself I was missing something. As noted, I've to check out how the existing is wired - really high ceiling, with a massive roll top bath in the middle of the floor. Access is gonna be fun!

The problem with a single driver is that if it fails then all the lights go out. However this is no different to a single pendant failing.
If you can find where the supply comes in and feed the single driver from the incoming supply and switched line then all you would need to do is remove the transformers at each light and use the existing 230V cabling (if it is suitably installed) as 12V cabling.
Dependent on the height of the ceiling the ELV sections may then be fairly long and this is not recommended from an interference point of view, but that would be your judgement as you can see the installation.

Last edited:
If the existing fittings each have a transformer you may not be meeting the minimum load requirement of those transformers with the new LED lamps. Try running multiple lamps from a single transformer, you may find the flickering stops.

Guys, sorry for the delay in responding - thanks for the views/advice. I've offered the customer options of driver(s) or GU10 leds (including putting the original 12v MR16 back in!).
Regards.

In fairness to the OP's client - I've never seen an advert for MR16 LED's which "warns" about the transformers - I reckon the client would be able to send them back for a credit!

to be fair under the distant selling regs she has time to send them back and they were miss sold because most dont even now there 12v etc.

they just see mr16 ah it must be them

Hi, yes depends where and when she bought the lights. If she bought them off the internet most reputable retailers will take them back. We always recommend swapping out existing MR16's for GU10's where possible.

GU10 LEDs are often cheaper, easier to install and a lot more reliable than MR16s. However saying that most branded LED MR16s have drivers on board and are designed to retrofit with a existing transformers (although this is very patchy), if you find out the brand of the MR16 then it is likely the manufacturer will have a list of compatible transformers which will work with the lamps.

Reply to 12v MR16 to LED in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net