Discuss 12v on socket ring main after isolation. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Taylor_J

Hello all!

I've come across a bit of a problem today as I was changing a socket and got a tingle (Isolated the MCB of course).

I tested the voltage and it was pulling 12v.

I've found when you isolate the upstairs lights the 12v on the upstairs sockets disappears.

Its a 17th edition dual RCD split load board.

The upstairs socket ring is on the first RCD and the upstairs lighting circuit is on the second RCD.

Any one got any answers for this problem or has anyone come across this before?

Thank you :)

think it's a question of dissing each circuit from CU and testing between circuits to see if there's some sort of inter connection, possibly coupled with a poor connection on one of the circuits.

I think that will be the case. Its strange as if they were connected surely the RCD would trip as its on the other side?

That probably isn't very helpful to you! My guess would be induced voltage. I wouldn't have thought there'd be any real energy behind it. Do you understand about induced voltage? Not trying to show you up, but it can seem a bit unbelievable.

That probably isn't very helpful to you! My guess would be induced voltage. I wouldn't have thought there'd be any real energy behind it. Do you understand about induced voltage? Not trying to show you up, but it can seem a bit unbelievable.

Haha no worries. Electromagnetic I take it? To be fair mate I have never come across this before in 10 years of house bashing. It just threw me a bit. The loop impedance, insulation resistance, rcd and r1+r2s all came out fine.

as said, it could be an induced or phantom voltage and the tingle could have been static.

Could be just induced voltage....although you wouldnt expect a tingle from that. Only answer is a testing session at the DB
You can receive more than a tingle,from an induced voltage,depending on the circuits doing the inducing,and the ones being induced. Any equipment connected to other circuits,MAY have the capability to "hold" some of that inducement.
If you imagine how a transformer functions,with both sides separated via insulation,it is not hard to imagine the generating of substantial voltage,as conductors wind their way around each other,especially when bunched.
Try it out,with two lengths of T&E,and a horse-shoe :icon12:

Reply to 12v on socket ring main after isolation. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock