Discuss 12v reading on all the negative connections on 240v system in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cravenbiker

Had a strange experience today.
customets t&p valve keep blowing on their hot water heater (sealed pressurised electric immersion heater fed from a water pump, pped in from a 5000 litre holding tank )
thought it might be the faulty valve first, after testing that and it being fine I went onto the thermostat on the heater expecting the constant heating of the water to keep blowing the valve and I got a reading of 12-16v on the negative side of the thermostat. I followed this back to the c/u and this was the same all the way back to the main fuse on that board.

i checked if there was any solar power on the house that may have been wrongly connected but that wasn't the case.

thought I'd put a post in here first to see if this is a common issue.
On the positive side of the thermostat supply it gives a reading of 210v can anyone give me any examples of why a positive reading of 12v would occur on any sort of 240v mains fed system?

im no electrician but have a common knowledge of standards household wiring but I've never seen this before! That voltmeter was one of the best investments I've made.

thanks
tristan

Can I ask if this problem is in your own property or for a paying customer.

Edit I see it's for a customer and as you're not an electrician I feel it would be better if you got someone who is suitably skilled to assist you. This thread is now closed.

Reply to 12v reading on all the negative connections on 240v system in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net