Discuss 13a socket outlet near a sink...? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello again,

Half way through kitchen job at mo, customer now wants a socket in utility room but only place it can go (units/work top already in) is right next to the sink.

Would it be ok to put at above head height 2000 from FFL directly above sink (even though it will look absolute cr@p, thats what they want)? Basically they've got a washing machine and tumble dryer on top of each other.

The kitchen job is one I'm putting through for NICEIC assesment, so didnt want to get anything out of place.

Thanks Sy

Uhhhh yea strictly you could put it above 2.25 meters to get away with the regs but it's not advised and ESPECIALLY not for your assessment.

Can't you put it the other side of tumble drier? You only need it 300mm away...

Bit of a pain this one.... got tumble dryer on right hand side tight in corner, and sink on left of this.... but they want the socket where they can get to it without having to pull out dryer.

Did try to talk them into having socket on FSU away from sink and then can put socket way above or behind dryer out reach....

Note your advice on EIC nothing against what you are doing as such but above a sink which I must admit I missed. Its not best practice and your assessor will be looking for safety and best practice.

Chris

When you say FSU I assume you mean a fused spur? That idea I think is the best one, s/o 300mm away behind drier and a nice switched spur ten miles away from anything wet. Job done.

Yeah sorry meant fused spur......... thats going to be only way I think, if not they're going to have to leave it, too dodgy for me!

Cheerio then,

Sy

just wondering would an FSU above work top in a suitable possistion then an unfused connection plate at back of dryer ? doing away with a fuse in plug

20A Double Pole Isolator/s , accessible. 13Asocket/s behind appliances.

Socket underneath sink, but make it an outdoor IP56 or similar, with sufficient flex to drip loop it anyway. Had to do this once myself for similar reasons.

Reply to 13a socket outlet near a sink...? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net