Discuss 13A switched Sockets with USB, Do the USB sockets work when switches are off? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

w0z

-
Reaction score
Hi
Are the USB sockets permanently powered irrespective of whether the switch is on?
Anyone done any power measurements on one when nothing is plugged into the usb?
Can they withstand insulation resistance tests? (if so up to what voltage?)

As far as I'm aware, the USB sockets are powered on all the time.

Power measurements, no.

Insulation resistance... depends on the make and model I believe. I installed some BG units on Tuesday, they can withstand 500v IR testing and will apparently give a result of 10Mohm (on the L-N test only I believe). Others I've installed have to be removed from circuit (on the instruction of the manufacturer).

Hope that helps a little :)

Thanks SC, I suspected they might be on all the time, I haven't looked at one yet, I assume there is no way to disconnect the USB part without disconnecting the socket? Bit of a pain really as the test wouldn't throw up insulation breakdown within the socket (unlikely now but who knows in 5 years when it's had a hammering)

Thanks SC, I suspected they might be on all the time, I haven't looked at one yet, I assume there is no way to disconnect the USB part without disconnecting the socket? Bit of a pain really as the test wouldn't throw up insulation breakdown within the socket (unlikely now but who knows in 5 years when it's had a hammering)
you worry too much. have a beer.

Just don’t fit sockets with built in usb .....
I agree, the same philosophy should have been applied to recently replacing ceiling downlighters (not that I'm suggesting ceiling downlighters should ever have a usb port) but sadly the only way to cover the original huge holes made by an "enthusiastic" electrician who cut them an inch larger than they needed to be (without a major repair job) was to fit some led 'downlights' (beam was very diffuse so I hesitate to call them downlights, more down and sideways lights). However no changing the lamp when they fail (as one now has), the entire fitting has to be changed. I hate that.
I'd rather have kept the electronics within a replaceable lamp.
May as well ask while I'm here, although it's a bit late now, does anyone know of a fitting which takes led gu10's or E27's but has a cutout of between 100 and 115mm?

I'm swapping out all the sockets in my home for smarter ones, and I did consider USB sockets as they seem to be a good idea...

But then I thought about it. I can't plug my phone into them without a charging lead, so I still have to walk off to where I keep my lead. That is no less effort than walking to pick up both my lead and charger and plugging it in to a regular socket. It's actually as simple to simply keep ones lead and charger permanently attached and use any socket, anywhere! This is the problem, the socket isn't conveniently located unless the lead is permanently stored with the socket.

Am I missing something!?

I appreciate that other items need charging too, but the same kinda applies. Also my TV, hifi and computer, monitors and keyboard all have accessible USB ports so the house is already pretty much full of places to charge a USB device in passing.

It's only really useful in places like beside your bed where you might have a lamp and clock (old school) plugged in and you can free up a space by plugging your phone directly in. Other than that can't justify the price difference for the sake of it

You're not missing anything, I can see a case for having the odd one in a convenient place (on kitchen ledge especially for ipad, or near where you normally sit) and buy a spare lead or 2 but no point in changing them all.
This is best answered by the dishwasher teaspoon equivalence conundrum.
We now have four times the number of teaspoons we really need because people cba to rinse the spoon, putting it in the dishwasher instead. Hence we just kept on buying more teaspoons (or in your case it would be charging cables) to solve the issue.
I thought we managed perfectly well before we bought the extra spoons.
Just fit a couple (of USB 13A sockets not teaspoons) in convenient places and get a spare charging lead or two.
As far as plugging into other devices, forget it, for one thing you'd need to leave the device powered up so it's wasteful and also most usb sockets on tvs or other items are fiddly and not conveniently placed.

I'm swapping out all the sockets in my home for smarter ones, and I did consider USB sockets as they seem to be a good idea...

But then I thought about it. I can't plug my phone into them without a charging lead, so I still have to walk off to where I keep my lead. That is no less effort than walking to pick up both my lead and charger and plugging it in to a regular socket. It's actually as simple to simply keep ones lead and charger permanently attached and use any socket, anywhere! This is the problem, the socket isn't conveniently located unless the lead is permanently stored with the socket.

Am I missing something!?

I appreciate that other items need charging too, but the same kinda applies. Also my TV, hifi and computer, monitors and keyboard all have accessible USB ports so the house is already pretty much full of places to charge a USB device in passing.

As far as plugging into other devices, forget it, for one thing you'd need to leave the device powered up so it's wasteful and also most usb sockets on tvs or other items are fiddly and not conveniently placed.

I beg to differ - as we're talking about convenience here. If I'm sat at my computer, it's because I'm using it and the USB ports are on :)

I actually have my wireless phone charger plugged in to my computers USB, which is great as it means that it's on and ready (with no cable..) whenever I'm sat there, and also turned off and using zero power when I'm not.

There is also a 3 metre charging cord plugged into the TV which gets used occasionally. That works because the TV hides the cord when not in use, something those silly sockets can't claim to do.

I beg to differ - as we're talking about convenience here. If I'm sat at my computer, it's because I'm using it and the USB ports are on :)

I actually have my wireless phone charger plugged in to my computers USB, which is great as it means that it's on and ready (with no cable..) whenever I'm sat there, and also turned off and using zero power when I'm not.

There is also a 3 metre charging cord plugged into the TV which gets used occasionally. That works because the TV hides the cord when not in use, something those silly sockets can't claim to do.
I wasn't including computers in my statement, they are a different case. I do sometimes plug mine in to the USB of the computer.

Reply to 13A switched Sockets with USB, Do the USB sockets work when switches are off? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net