Discuss 14 years on install...time for industrial maintenance? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

2pacaveli86

Hi all,

At the ripe age of 32 I’ve recently had some crazy ideas floating around in the old noggin... after 14 years of experience in the industrial, commercial and domestic side of electrical install...I’m considering a sidestep to industrial maintenance.

I’ve had my limited company for 9 years now, through which I have had some of my own clientele (mainly in industrial power install, I have never chased domestic as I’m not a massive fan)...but mostly I have sub-contracted through larger firms.

I feel well equipped now, I have installed power and lighting into many different environments, installed and commissioned fire alarms, loads of EICR work with my 2391, pulled in, glanded and terminated SWA’s up to 300mm 4 core, data network installs. All of which I’ve always done quite nicely in my opinion.

There is PLENTY more to learn if I was to carry on doing what I’m doing and I know the money I earn will always go up and up but I just feel like I’ll always be half a spark without delving into industrial control maintenance...which is a whole different ball game. Plus I feel I’ve had enough experience to not be phased by anything install any more, it all feels a bit routine and easy.

So I’ve found some sites which which would pay about 38k basic, which is exactly what I paid myself in salary and dividends last year so financially I’d be ok... but it would mean winding down the company and not having company money to spend on vans, tools and equipment. A rather big thing to do as it’s been healthy so it seems a bit of a waste, but on the other hand since thinking about it the appeal of no aggro out of working ours i.e. the trials and tribulations of running a business and bookkeeping would no longer be a burden (it certainly gets me a little excited knowing that may no longer be a responsibility of mine!)

I think I could learn a whole host of skills in my new role, and 5 to 10 years on I’ll be well rounded and if I decided to move back into business I’d have a load more strings to my bow! But on the other hand I could be well seated in maintenance and through the willingness to learn could be pushing for more and more money in that field.

I just wondered if anyone on here had done anything similar and would either recommend or warn me away from the idea? I feel I may be looking at it through rose tinted glasses! So any input would be much appreciated :)

Yes I went from installs to Airfield and boiler house Maintenance, no big deals back then as there wasn#t the distinction of what type of electrician you were, Domestic, Commercial that sort of thing, I was lucky I suppose to land a job like that, it set me up Knowledge and qualification wise, as the maintenance outfit paid for courses. study time etc, to be honest all the other guys working on the Maintenance team were very good and took the time to explain, what was to me at the time a new experience, especially the Airfield lighting.

I would say you need to think what’s driving you towards this decision.
Are you fed up with the self employed business side of things, or do want to do maintenance work and or be on paye?

The best thing about static maintenance gigs is 4 on 4 off shift pattern. I only work a little over 5 months of the year now.

Days can fly by if your busy, but if nothing is broke and you cannot get on any machines to do your PPM’s it can go a little slow.

I’ve done industrial installation/project/controls/panel building over the past 20 years and this is the best gig I’ve had. But I was sick of being on the road doing reactive maintenance all over the U.K. and some work overseas. I’m glad to be at home every night.

Early starts can be a pain but much easier if you’re organised before bed. Fill the kettle, butties ready, travel mug for the commute etc.

You want to be aiming for around 42K which is the higher end of the scale but it varies from 28-42. Over time here is x1.5 so at 350 a day it’s worth doing a couple a month.

Good luck, hope it works out.

The best thing about static maintenance gigs is 4 on 4 off shift pattern. I only work a little over 5 months of the year now.

Yup same here, but with hoidays and sick it is more like 4 months, 2 months of days, 2 months of nights and 8 months off, plus it is like early retirement, the OP will love it.

I personally have done both install and maintenance and I think each have thier pros and cons.

With install your working somewhere new most days and get a feeling of accomplishing things but with maintenance it can get very boring and you will probably find yourself getting really lazy ann even changing a ballast out can seem like a real chore.

I would say try it because you might like it.

Install vs control = supplying power vs playing with power...

Playing with power is always going to be more interesting ;)

Control is a big knowledge jump though, so it would make a great deal of sense to start out as part of a team on PAYE than run the show yourself, which would also mean taking on a high level of potential liability.

Example: You are employed at a crisp factory to fix issues with the production line. A repair you carry out goes ---- up and you get a telling off. However... if you're self employed and your repair fails, you get slapped with a claim for 6 hours down time that works out at £30k lost revenue :eek:

Thanks everyone, this was one of them posts where I kinda knew what the truth was but I needed the backing and reassurance of others to confirm it!

I’m looking forward to it to be honest, just got to have the discipline to make sure I don’t get “lazy” as I am aware through my own experience of seeing other maintenance engineers being like that.

Money is one thing but personal growth is another, I’m sure in the long run this will be beneficial.

Now the next question is, do I lay my company dormant or do a little on the side on my days off? This is a question I’ll have to put to my accountant and see if it’s worth it!

I really appreciate the input guys

I've done about 10 years of each . Both have pros and cons . Nightshifts get harder as you get older in my opinion . Grass is always greener on the other side.

Morning all.

Iv been an industrial spark all my life. As stated above the shift pattern is marvellous. Nights can be hard but where I work they don’t mind you sleeping if your worklist has been finished and the line is running. Just make sure your up and ready when production calls. I’m lucky because I do a lot of control work AC/DC motors, PLC, drives and install work. There’s also lighting and small power to play with to. I personally run my own small company outside work to doing the domestic stuff as I have so much time off. Keeps me busy and pays for my holidays really. If I want a break from domestic side of things I can no problem and no dip in funds for the important stuff. I can even work overtime in my main job to earn extra. My main job pays 37k basic with 2 bonus payouts each year related to company performance so it’s more like 38500. And I clear about 10k a year doing my own stuff so decent money. As said above it’s great working for someone else and switching off once 6.30 comes. I live 5 miles from my work so it’s great

Reply to 14 years on install...time for industrial maintenance? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net