Discuss 140 V between live and neutral instead of the usual 230 V in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

farmer

-
Reaction score
Hi lads, yesterday morning there was a fault with the incoming electricity supply in that there was only 140 V between live and neutral instead of the usual 230 V.
Could anyone provide me with an explanation for this?

Thanks

The neutral from the supply either has not been terminated properly/ loose connection therefore in a normal circuit if there is no return then the neutral can potentially become live so as in your situation the neutral has about 90 volts on it potential difference.

I had the same problem about a month ago a client complained the power had gone out to there house and the cooker was making a funny noise when turned on. Got there measured between line and neutral and got 150V, after asking them they said the DNO had been drilling outside couple of months ago to sort a problem out.

Like Andy said in post 9.
A missing or low phase on the primary side of a transformer can produce some pretty strange voltages on the secondary side.
This is the most likely cause of your low voltage.

Reply to 140 V between live and neutral instead of the usual 230 V in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, I'm not an electrician, more one of those 'competent DIYers', so probably the worst kind :) My electric shower broke, the shower firm came...
Replies
Views
Hello All I was pondering an idea recently regarding the ground connection to my property. At present it has a combined Neutral to earth at the...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the WT Henley Series 8 house service cutout. I have one of these installed at my house and...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I need some help with an electrical issue I'm experiencing. I recently created a new circuit for an electric oven at my friend's...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock