Discuss 150w work light in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wallyanker

Hello.

I have a work light, very similar to the one in the picture below. It is a 230v 150w halogen light but the cable is only 2 metres long. If I replace the cable with 2.5 flex, how long can I have it, would realy like it about 20-30 metres, is this ok?

Thanks

p4778536_l.jpg

If I replace the cable with 2.5 flex, how long can I have it, would realy like it about 20-30 metres, is this ok?

The IEE Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment suggests a maximum of 25m for a flexible cord of 2.5mm2. However, as another poster points out, it is a bit on the big side for a 13A plug.

Use 1.5, it should still be ok, providing you use a 150W lamp. However, like the last post said, max 25M but I think the get out clause with that is that anything over that and it must be RCD protected, but you can get round that by wiring it to one of those plug in RCD jobbies

ok, if I use 30 metres of 1.5mm 3 core flex, will this be ok? Providing I use a RCD adaptor?

Last edited by a moderator:
1.5mm2 suggested maximum is 15m. As roukel01 has said the get-out clause is if it's supplied by an RCD.

You are safer keeping the lead to the light at 2-2.5M because if you plug a 230volt ext lead with an RCD fitted then you can utilise it for other things.

Also if you use it a lot the it may be prudent to change it to a 110 supply just for safety an public liability as "making up" a lead could cause you problems in the future if the flex gets damaged and is not plugged into an RCD supply. I have seen this in the past with home made leads and portible RCDs that highlight a fault but joe builder thinks it is faulty so he takes it out of circuit so now theres a new ball game for you and your insurance company who then ask if the equipment you are using comply with the BS or EU safety standards mark on them and when you say no they leap up in the air do a backflip and then tell you your not covered.

Just a thought..

PS I remember a past 14th or 15th edition that stated that all portable equipment should only have no more than a 2-2.5M lead fitted as the appliance and lead are seen as 2 seperate pieces of equipment

I haven't got one long enough! :)

If I bought one for eg, B&Q have a 45 metre one cheap at the min, would that have to be rcd protected because i don't think it has rcd built into it?

Reply to 150w work light in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net