Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss 151 White Silicone Sealant... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Pete E

Pete E DIY

I hate having to open a large tube of silicone sealant to do a little bit of filling/sealing.

Invariably the next time you go to the tube its gone off and needs to be binned.

A while ago, I found that Poundland do small 70g tubes of white 151 Silicone Sealant as below:

151 White Bath & Shower Basin Silicone Sealant 70g - Mould Resistant | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332401002168?chn=ps&adgroupid=48716125379&rlsatarget=pla-382120634115&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=119020434&poi=&googleloc=9045255&device=c&campaignid=974960635&crdt=0

Being only the size of a large tube of tooth paste, it takes hardly any room in the bottom of a tool box and having a proper screw top, the sealant doesn't go off as easily as the larger tubes.

I used some today that I last used 12 months ago and apart from a small plug in the neck that needed unpicking, it was fine.

I can't seem to see it in the Pound shops at the moment, but its available online (as above) for not much more...

So nothing exciting really, but just a tip about a cheap
    product that makes life a tiny bit easier...

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

...If i coat my 10 year old's upper body,in it...can i avoid buying him a new winter coat? :)

3. Pete E

Pete E DIY

Leave the tube with in easy reach, and you'll find he'll coat himself...and the dog..and the sofa....and just about every surface with in arms reach!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

Another silicone tip on already opened tubes (speaking from experience here!) if you carefully smell the silicone and it slightly stings your nose, then it is good, however if it smells stagnant then it has gone off, even though it may still be applied.....beware it will not cure. As I once made this mistake and after a few days it was still claggy, and had clean it off and do it again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

7. static zap

static zap Regular EF Member

Maybe my assesment of the passage of time is dulled by age .
    (but if its the only tube left ..it's rock solid for me ---)
    can be used as a silicone hammer (HSE-caution)
    ..or some Anne Som....... product
    -- Doomed to pick up old stock ... as don't have glasses on --

• Funny Funny x 1