Discuss 16 panels East or 8 panels east 8 panels west split in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Launderer

Hi Guys looking for your thoughts.

Quoting for a job where there the roof I suggested putting 16 x 250w panels is facing 93 degrees east. The customer has had an alternative quote and the installer has suggested splitting system 8 panels east and 8 panels west. The customer asked for my comments. I ran the alternative system through PV Sol (changed inverter to twin tracker) and the result showed a 120kWh lower output per annum.

I sent the customer the result and a bit of information. I suggested to her that putting the panels on an east west split would probably generate at a lower level but would give a better spread of generation throughout the day. The customer works from home so is in the house all day and we discussed the possibility that the lower annual output might be compensated by the customers demand on her power supplier being reduced and the east west split might actually be a better idea.

Don't think there is any way to quantify it but would be interested to hear other views.

East - west thats what I put on my roof - so far generating more than predicted!

You will obviously have increased scaffolding costs.

8 East - 8 west. 90 degree 3.84kWp using 4000TL + suntech

Estimate 2803kWh/pa

+20% january
+50% February
+49% march

19% of estimate generated jan to end march.

But I would have probably only got 12 panels on a single orientation.

Feed in at end of march 7am to 7pm
>1kWh around 8:50am on clear day until around 5pm

Last edited by a moderator:
If working from home your customer would have a higher chance of using more of the electricity generated on an East / West system, the problem you have now is to win back the customers trust, as the other guy suggested it. Cost implications would imply that all on one roof is best for ROI but you do need to take lifestyle into account.

I'd choose a split system as it will provide a more balanced power generation throughout the day and therefore a more beneficial effect on household bills.

I get frustrated with my SE-facing system as it's like feast or famine; too much power to use it all in the mornings and only a trickle flow in the afternoons and evenings.
I'd trade a loss of 120kWh per year for a longer period of "peak" generation so that I might be able to use all of the power and not have to import from the grid in the afternoons.

Also.....

Let's suppose we have a "typical" week, and three different panel layouts.
8 East + 8 West
- or -
16 East
- or -
16 West

In that week, we have the following "English" weather:
monday: rainy day.
tuesday: cloudy day.
wednesday: sunny day.
thursday: sunny morning with cloudy afternoon.
friday: cloudy morning with a sunny afternoon.

Realistic daily total generation as follows:

16 East:
Mon: 4kWh
Tue: 6kWh
Wed: 16kWh
Thur: 14kWh (got all the sun in the morning)
Fri: 8kWh (missed the sun in the afternoon)

16 West:
Thur: 8kWh (missed the sun in the morning)
Fri: 14kWh (got all the sun in the afternoon)

8 East + 8 West:
Thur: 11kWh (managed to catch some of the morning sun which the W-facing missed)
Fri: 11kWh (managed to catch some of the afternoon sun which the E-facing missed)

So the split system also has a more even day-to day power output, along with a more even power output throughout the day.

Also.....

Let's suppose we have a "typical" week, and three different panel layouts.
8 East + 8 West
- or -
16 East
- or -
16 West

In that week, we have the following "English" weather:
monday: rainy day.
tuesday: cloudy day.
wednesday: sunny day.
thursday: sunny morning with cloudy afternoon.
friday: cloudy morning with a sunny afternoon.

Realistic daily total generation as follows:

16 East:
Thur: 14kWh (got all the sun in the morning)
Fri: 8kWh (missed the sun in the afternoon)

16 West:
Thur: 8kWh (missed the sun in the morning)
Fri: 14kWh (got all the sun in the afternoon)

8 East + 8 West:
Thur: 11kWh (managed to catch some of the morning sun which the W-facing missed)
Fri: 11kWh (managed to catch some of the afternoon sun which the E-facing missed)

So the split system also has a more even day-to day power output, along with a more even power output throughout the day.

I agree, it's generation is as even as a south facing system just a tad lower in output. But as with all east/west split or not. A lot lower in the winter.

Also, I suspect that an East/West split will not need such a large inverter, since the panels will never all be in direct, straight-facing sun at the same time.

While 4kWp East-facing (or West-facing) would probably need a near-4kW inverter, I suspect that a split system with 2kWp East and 2kWp West would only need a (less expensive)3kW inverter.

Also, I suspect that an East/West split will not need such a large inverter, since the panels will never all be in direct, straight-facing sun at the same time.

While 4kWp East-facing (or West-facing) would probably need a near-4kW inverter, I suspect that a split system with 2kWp East and 2kWp West would only need a (less expensive)3kW inverter.

You are probably right. I can't let you know that one until I have had it a year.

At the moment I see peak at 2.5kWh where some with south facing 30 degree see 3.5.

But I do have a 22.5 degree tilt so I'm hoping as the sun is higher it will increase and the inverter not be so inefficient.

Mine peaked the other day just over 3.4kW out from the inverter with slightly East of SouthEast facing, 40-degrees.
3.75kWp and 3.6kW inverter.
So the inverter was putting out 95% of its capacity.
Before DC->AC conversion losses, input power would probably have been 3.55kW (95% of the array's potential).

If working from home your customer would have a higher chance of using more of the electricity generated on an East / West system, the problem you have now is to win back the customers trust, as the other guy suggested it. Cost implications would imply that all on one roof is best for ROI but you do need to take lifestyle into account.

Not sure I have lost customer trust and still not convinced there's much in it either way. Customers like our no pressure sales and are impressed that we take the time to do proper shading analysis and provide detailed quotations.

Too many competitors use SAP2005 only and in this particular area of Scotland weather data produces a significantly lower output.

I am coming round to thinking that on balance it may be better to do an east west split but would like someone to really convince me

Not sure I have lost customer trust and still not convinced there's much in it either way. Customers like our no pressure sales and are impressed that we take the time to do proper shading analysis and provide detailed quotations.

Too many competitors use SAP2005 only and in this particular area of Scotland weather data produces a significantly lower output.

I am coming round to thinking that on balance it may be better to do an east west split but would like someone to really convince me

I think here there isn't a wrong system just an informed choice you can offer your client.

Proposed Fronius 3.6 in one string for all panels facing east. Will probably go with twin tracker Power One 3.6 if decide to go with split system. Would the sun in mid summer at its highest not be more or less shining on both arrays equally and 3kW a liitle undersized? The Power One is a little cheaper than the Fronius so additional costs of cabling and isolators would be covered.

If it helps at midday (before bst) the arrays are almost equal in output but the west slightly higher due to being a tad cooler.

I would say power one seem to be the installers first choice inverter.

Although I do like the sma with its sunny beam and relay and other developments in the pipeline.

Proposed Fronius 3.6 in one string for all panels facing east. Will probably go with twin tracker Power One 3.6 if decide to go with split system. Would the sun in mid summer at its highest not be more or less shining on both arrays equally and 3kW a liitle undersized? The Power One is a little cheaper than the Fronius so additional costs of cabling and isolators would be covered.

The panels only get close to peak output when the sun is straight in front of them and high enough in the sky to compliment the pitch of the roof.
If the sun isn't straight at the panels, some light is lost through reflection, or because it has to travel through a greater thickness of glass as the angle of incidence flattens (that's why WW2 German tanks had quite shallow sloped armour; to increase the chances of deflection and "virtually" increase the thickness).

At peak summer sun, it will be 60 degrees high in the sky, and 90 degrees off to the side of an East or West facing panel, with the roof slope of 35 degrees also slightly tilting the panels away from the sun.

A quick "back of an envelope" calculation suggests that the panels will only be at three-quarters capacity, due to the angle of incidence of the light.

If the panels were South-facing, that 60-degree-high sun, plus a 30-degree roof slope, would make for 99% efficiency as the sun would be shining almost perfectly at the panels.

Here's a re-post from when I gave some approximations for the performance of my SE-facing, 40-degree, 3.75kWp system (3.6 inverter), in ideal conditions:

"....On a nice day, power generation typically looks like this (in recent weeks, before the clocks changed!):
7am: 0.5kW
8am: 1kW
9am: 2kW
10am: 3kW
11am: 3kW
12noon: 2.5Kw
1pm: 2kW
2pm: 1.5kW
3pm: 1kW
4pm: 0.5kW
5pm: 0.25kW
6pm: 0.1kW....."

Those generation stats would probably be 20% higher in summer.

/

This link will give an interesting read about armour plate, but also give an idea of light reflection/deflection/angle of incidence on solar panels.

Sloped armour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If sloped armour is harder for anti-tank rounds to punch through, then it is also more difficult for light rays to pass through tilted glass.

Peak sun for me is 62 degrees high
current is around 45 degrees high

If my peak generation is 2.5 currently then it is 65% of capacity

So I should see a maximum peak of around 2.88kwh when the sun is 62 degrees high?

Or would it be slightly higher as the pitch is only 22.5 degrees

Reply to 16 panels East or 8 panels east 8 panels west split in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock