Discuss 16A oven ok on existing set up? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks Fletch, although the English is somewhat questionable, ("the power mains....") that confirms that the oven needs a 16A supply so my previous comment about changing the MCB to 40A as long as the cable is suitable applies.

I must be getting my maths wrong.

If I was calculating max load using diversity, for the listed W loads, then I would be going for 40A supply. However, as previously posted, the manufacturer of the new oven, has listed a max supply requirement of 16A. Presumably they have applied their own 'diversity', due to the users limited selection of elements by control knob. But in any case we agree on a max load for the new oven at 16A.

The only other unknown is the hob, which is rated at 5800W. Which I obtain a max load in A's (after diversity) of 14.5A.

So why the need to change the ocpd, when the existing 32A appears suitable?

think some members think a domestic oven is a pot bank kiln.

I must be getting my maths wrong.

If I was calculating max load using diversity, for the listed W loads, then I would be going for 40A supply. However, as previously posted, the manufacturer of the new oven, has listed a max supply requirement of 16A. Presumably they have applied their own 'diversity', due to the users limited selection of elements by control knob. But in any case we agree on a max load for the new oven at 16A.

The only other unknown is the hob, which is rated at 5800W. Which I obtain a max load in A's (after diversity) of 14.5A.

So why the need to change the ocpd, when the existing 32A appears suitable?

Not knowing enough about how the oven can be used i.e. if all those items can be on at the same time, (think Xmas dinner cooking), and likewise for the hob, I didn't apply diversity.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I can use the fan oven on its own, or the grill on its own, then either the top or bottom element on their own or together or the grill plus fan. So I think it’s probably fair to add diversity into the equation.

Not knowing enough about how the oven can be used i.e. if all those items can be on at the same time, (think Xmas dinner cooking), and likewise for the hob, I didn't apply diversity.

You need to go back to school.

We had a range cooker, who's installation 'engineer' would only connect to a 40A supply. It had a facility where the all the (could be turned on) ovens could fast heat for 7 mins. I clamped it, along with switching on the grill & side oven; never got more than 14 A.

You need to go back to school.

We had a range cooker, who's installation 'engineer' would only connect to a 40A supply. It had a facility where the all the (could be turned on) ovens could fast heat for 7 mins. I clamped it, along with switching on the grill & side oven; never got more than 14 A.

and why do I need to go back to school..?

Reply to 16A oven ok on existing set up? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock