Discuss 16mm tails with 100A fuse ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Then there's no point in clipped direct is there? , as the worst case de rating factor must be used for the cable /circuit therefore clipped direct could not be used as a cables ultimate reference method
Jesus!
Got to be a wind up this?

I doubt very much that he'll have much to say about this Ian. :)

so what factor would apply to the cable rating just because it's inside a box? where in BS7671 does it say that a rating factor needs applying.
Derating was probably the wrong choice of words. What I am saying is if the conductors are not clipped direct throughout the ccc should be based upon them being enclosed even if it is for a short length.

Conductors at meters and heads are generally not contained although I admit in some cases they maybe.

OK to be on the safe side. pull the 100A fuse and insert a 60 A nail. nothing burns, nothing blows. everyone's a winner.

That must be the only situation when clipped direct can be used then as everything else I can think of enters an enclosure of some description.

What about twin and earth, which clearly has to enter an enclosure to be terminated?

Guys, guys, you're thinking about this the wrong way! Reference method C also includes "... cable direct in masonary..." (installation methods 57 and 58). So all that is needed to legitimately use reference method C is to fill your enclosure with plaster once you've terminated the cable!

To think, the spreads have been doing us all a favour all these years... ;)

Delete.
What about twin and earth, which clearly has to enter an enclosure to be terminated?
Ah well I could open a can of worms with that also as in theory you could use 4D2A for the complete cable and then refer to 4D1A when it is stripped at an enclosure and effectively becomes singles thus making the rating when clipped direct excessive for the contained conductors:D

Got me what out?
16mm tails with 100A fuse ??? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Clipped direct would apply between service heads and meters etc. Once contained at its termination to a CU alternative ccc applies. Really quite simple.

But cable sizes are calculated based on the most onerous conditions they are installed in, so if the last few inches have a lower ccc due to being enclosed then the whole length of the cable must have that lower ccc.

If the termination at a CU is to be considered as being enclosed for the purpose of cable rating then do you also extend that to a switch, socket or joint box, and if not then why not?

I think you need to consider what, if any, the effects of being in that enclosure are. the difference between being enclosed in a conduit or trunking and being in a CU should hopefully be obvious.

Just ordered a couple of 60A fatboy fuses. Not saying where one might go :rolleyes:

Edit : ok, just stop right there, you lot are just hopeless

Is this a joke? Or have you come to an agreement with the DNO about preventing the fuse ever being replaced with 100A by their operatives if the cutout is replaced or if someone notices that the wrong size fuse has been fitted?

Reply to 16mm tails with 100A fuse ??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock