Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss 16th ed unsheathed cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Pelly1

Pelly1 New EF Member

Trying to find relevant reg in 16th ed that covers unsheathed cables exposed from jboxes

2. snowhead

snowhead Respected Member

There won't be one if you mean Permits the situation.
    Do you mean the normal round Ashley type brown box where the sheath has been cut beyond the cutout in the box.?

3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Covers it in which way?

4. kingeri

kingeri Electrician's Arms

Why the 16th??

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pelly1

Pelly1 New EF Member

History .Doing condition report on block of 90 flats put all downlights in corridors down as c2 100mm of unsheathed cable into clip type connectors and someone has just used connector strip in places no jbox ,noted relevant regs from 17th ed .what client is trying to do is hold main contractor who gave 10yr warranty on building to task .just wanted to get in front as I am expecting reply from them to be it was installed to 16th ed.

6. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

No regulation would allow that! Past or present!
    C2 for all.
    Don't know the exact numbers off hand but all live connections should be adequately enclosed and no basic insulation should be visible outside the enclosure

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HandySparks

HandySparks Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    Neish Electrical Services
    Try 526-03-03.
    Cores of sheathed cables from which the sheath has been removed and non-sheathed cables at the termination of conduit, ducting or trunking shall be enclosed as required by Regulation 526-03-02.

And 521-07-03.
    Non-sheathed cables for fixed wiring shall be enclosed in conduit, ducting or trunking.

BS 7671 : 1992

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Risteard

Risteard Respected Member

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    It wasn't permitted by the 16th Edition.

That said you are carrying out your inspection and testing taking cognisance of the requirements of BS7671:2008 (2015) and not any withdrawn Standard.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Good luck anyone trying to prove that was how it was installed ten or how ever many years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    I have to ask, why the 16th, is this a historical problem? pre 17th

11. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

The OP has said, that the client wants to take advantage of the builder’s 10 year warranty.
    Obviously, if the work did not comply at the time of construction, the client can make a claim.

12. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

Sadly still see downlights done like this all the time. The connectors supplied on many fittings don't help one bit either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. I2C

I2C Electrician

I agree with previous comments, why the 16th edition?
    Previous work carried-out which was compliant under old regulations is deemed satisfactory by current regulations, however any work that you perform now can be subject to the current regulations despite warranties.
    Regardless, I'd advise my clients to change any old wiring systems to meet the current standards and explain why the standards where changed... safer for them and better business.

14. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

I think you are missing the point.
    The wiring is not satisfactory, and the OP wishes to know if it complied with the Regulations in force at the time of it’s design/construction.
    If it did comply, the OP’s client may not be able to ask the builder to rectify under the terms of the warranty.
    If it did not comply then the client will be able to ask the builder to rectify.
    What you personally would do is neither here nor there.
    All the OP needs to know, is whether the work complied.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Risteard

Risteard Respected Member

Business Name:
    Walsh Electrical Services
    Not necessarily. It may or may not be satisfactory, but the simple fact that it no longer complies is not what makes it unsatisfactory.

Would you consider fused neutrals to be satisfactory if you came across them?

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.