• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you are seeking employment in the electrical industry, then you are in the correct forum to post a thread about what you are looking for. Please avoid putting contact details in the actual post. Use the forum messenger instead.

As well as posting a thread in the forum you're in, you can also search Electrician Jobs posted by others HERE. If you run an established electrical company, you can post your business details to our directory of electricians too.

Discuss 17th Edition Vs. Electrical Degree ? in the People Seeking Electrical Jobs / Employment area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I noticed that in some electrical position employer/contractor asked for
  • 17th Edition
  • City & Guilds
My question is am I eligible to apply for this position with Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering?

Hi Saikat, well it's a free country and you can apply for any job. Whether you will be successful is entirely up to your good self and the employer !
The 17th edition mentioned is a formal qualification related to BS7671 amendment 3. This will not have been covered within the BE. Perhaps buy a copy, have read and try to apply it to questions people ask on the Forum?

Yes anyone could apply, whether they get the job is a different thing, with a degree why would you want to work as an Electrician? The C&Gs 17th is supposed to show the employer that the applicant is up to date on the current BS regulations, although if you can read you will probably pass the exam.

I do not think you are eligible because you do not possess either or both of these qualifications. However, your prospective employer may sponsor you to obtain them or you could attend off your own bat a course and take the examinations to earn the certification; you could apply then mentioning this. Even so there is more to being an electrician than the certificate - he/she is as much a skilled craftsman.

eligible
ˈɛlɪdʒɪb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. having the right to do or obtain something; satisfying the appropriate conditions.
With a degree you have other opportunities and fields in which to work.

I'd think the bachelor degree would be considered to qualify you above the C&G qualification but your lack of qualification on the 17th edition regulations would be a problem.

Does a bachelor degree qualify for a JIB grading maybe? I've honestly no idea about the UK electrical qualifications, they're very confusing.

I'd think the bachelor degree would be considered to qualify you above the C&G qualification but your lack of qualification on the 17th edition regulations would be a problem.

Does a bachelor degree qualify for a JIB grading maybe? I've honestly no idea about the UK electrical qualifications, they're very confusing.

JIB don't recognise having a degree.

This is what I'd go with. The degree surpasses the C&G qualifications in terms of technicality, but not necessarily relevant material to a hands-on electrician I guess - having not done a degree, I can't be sure. The lack of 17th Edition will be the sticking point.

The "17th Edition" qualification only shows you can look things up in a book. It does not, in any way, provide competence in electrical installation work.
You can get the "17th Edition" qualification without ever having touched a screwdriver.

Reply to 17th Edition Vs. Electrical Degree ? in the People Seeking Electrical Jobs / Employment area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back