Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss 17TH TO 18TH REGS EXAM. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    To all,
    When the 17th came out I did the C & G update course and exam rather than the full course and exam as it was within a number of years from which I did my 16th. Does anyone know if this is still the case? I know that if it still is I would be outside that timeframe as I can't see any mention on any websites (F.E & others) of this now or are they now saying that if you have the wiring regs exam you only need to take the short exam. Also, has anyone had any dealings with an one-line provider called Electracourse?

2. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

3. Baddegg

Baddegg Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x Electrician's Arms

Don’t know bout on line courses, but I did the 17th amd 3 and have been told I only need the 1 day refresh, I believe the earlier 17th need the full 3 day course

4. Zdb

Zdb Regular EF Member

You can just sit the 2 hour exam for £102 If you're confident enough.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Please correct me if I’m wrong but there is only one exam. As Zdb above, up to you whether you do any courses at all before taking exam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi AB and All - yes only one exam. We decide how much prep we need. I did an online study one that had exams almost nearby and it worked out well.

7. Paignton pete

Paignton pete Regular EF Member

If you've got your 17th 3rd amendment. Then in my opinion you don't need to do the course, just the exam.
    I did the course with exam in one day. I felt there was no need for the course part.

Hindsight I would have just done the exam instead of waistline a day off work losing money.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. GBDamo

GBDamo Regular EF Member

Absolutely agree, found the course mentally exhausting but it didn't really add anything.

If you can navigate the BYB you can navigate the BBB.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

I was contacted by the NIC regarding on line course and exam and told that, even without Am 3, the full 3 day is not required. Can't remember the price but it's a lot less than the 3 day.
    'Money for nowt' men are at it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  10. anthonybragg

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    So an I correct in saying it is the same exam it is just the course the only reason I ask is that my certificate says update 16th to 17th on it and thought at the time they said the update exam was fewer questions and less time. Take it no one has heard of the online training provider.

11. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

The 18th is one exam. New regs and how to use them should answer all questions.

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

The 17th exam from what I recall, was either 30 mins or 2 hours?
    Think it depended on whether you had done the 16th update within the last 5 years.
    I did the longer exam, just because that was what the college were doing on the day I sat the exam.
    Cost me £30 for the exam.

Many of the on line courses being offered now, do not include the exam. The exam is extra, and seems very expensive.

13. anthonybragg

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    Thanks, Spin, I thought it was, so does that apply to the 18th?

14. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Had my NICEIC assessment yesterday and chatting to the assessor he said as I done the update from 16th to 17th then it’s a requirement to do the full course...however he said I can do an online update to amm3 then do the update from 17th to 18th at a JTL college (nearest to me 50 mins in Ashford) exam only. All in about £150

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Lee I'm sure you can do the update to Amd 3, but I'm also sure it's not a prerequisite for doing the 18th :) .

• Agree Agree x 1