Discuss 18th Edition (2382-18) Exam simulator in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Had the blue book for about 4days now and just did 80% first go, no reference to book.:D
Unfortunately I only got 95% with the book and taking my time. Are we sure all the questions have the right answers?

I saw two questions in the simulator, where the ‘correct’ answer was 1.44.
I don’t know if the exam is asking for the maximum Zs allowed before Cmin is deducted?
If that’s the case they should state that in the question.
There was quite a big thing when the 3rd amendment was produced about changes to the Max Zs table. The IET screwed up the first printing of GN3 by using the old tables instead of the new.
Maybe it’s just the simulator that’s got it wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
The correct answer is from BS7671. The questions are not based on Guide book figures, so no explanation required.

How is a suspended cable consider to be underground?
This was in 443.2.1 in Amd3, "A suspended cable having insulated conductors with earthed metallic covering is deemed to be an underground cable for the purposes of this section."

443.2 was removed in the 18th edition, and this rather bizarre statement (which always used to make me chuckle) is no longer mentioned.

This is not an 18th edition exam simulator. This is a re-badged 17th edition, amendment 2 (or 1) simulator. They've not updated the max Zs values from the changes 3 years ago once Cmin was incorporated, never mind the changes in terminology introduced in the 18th Edition (selectivity, rather than discrimination). I got 85%, without the book (or a calculator) but I died a little inside for each answer I clicked that I knew would get me the mark, which I knew was factually wrong.

I sat the real C&G 18th Edition exam today (with the book, and a calculator), and it's nothing like this. In a change from previous versions of this exam, the questions are in a random order, so you are jumping around the book a lot. The questions seem relatively-well written (in comparison to the 2382-12 and 2382-15, which I also took), though there is the odd typo still there ("conducive" rather than "conductive"!) but it didn't detract from the meaning. For many of the questions, all 4 answers are plausible. (I got 100%... subject, of course, to moderation by the awarding organisation.)

It's worth noting that other awarding organisations also offer the exam, and have slightly different criteria. For instance, you need a 75% pass rate overall (and at least 50% in each section) for the Logic Certification version, but the questions are in order (so qu's 1-4 are from Part 1, qu's 5 and 6 are from Part 2 etc, like the C&G one used to be). And I think you get a free resit if you fail on your first attempt.

Hope the above is useful :)

This was in 443.2.1 in Amd3, "A suspended cable having insulated conductors with earthed metallic covering is deemed to be an underground cable for the purposes of this section."

443.2 was removed in the 18th edition, and this rather bizarre statement (which always used to make me chuckle) is no longer mentioned.

This is not an 18th edition exam simulator. This is a re-badged 17th edition, amendment 2 (or 1) simulator. They've not updated the max Zs values from the changes 3 years ago once Cmin was incorporated, never mind the changes in terminology introduced in the 18th Edition (selectivity, rather than discrimination). I got 85%, without the book (or a calculator) but I died a little inside for each answer I clicked that I knew would get me the mark, which I knew was factually wrong.

I sat the real C&G 18th Edition exam today (with the book, and a calculator), and it's nothing like this. In a change from previous versions of this exam, the questions are in a random order, so you are jumping around the book a lot. The questions seem relatively-well written (in comparison to the 2382-12 and 2382-15, which I also took), though there is the odd typo still there ("conducive" rather than "conductive"!) but it didn't detract from the meaning. For many of the questions, all 4 answers are plausible. (I got 100%... subject, of course, to moderation by the awarding organisation.)

It's worth noting that other awarding organisations also offer the exam, and have slightly different criteria. For instance, you need a 75% pass rate overall (and at least 50% in each section) for the Logic Certification version, but the questions are in order (so qu's 1-4 are from Part 1, qu's 5 and 6 are from Part 2 etc, like the C&G one used to be). And I think you get a free resit if you fail on your first attempt.

Hope the above is useful :)

I’ve got my exam next week with C&G so it’s some good info.
Cheers.

You couldn’t make it up.

I've received my nice new BBB and OSG in the post today. S'pose I'll have to open them up and start reading, that'll take the shine off the moment pretty quick ... I'm a plodder and I'm not looking forward to sitting that exam again :oops: .

Reply to 18th Edition (2382-18) Exam simulator in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net