Stroma Certification Scheme 18th Edition email from Stroma

Discuss 18th Edition email from Stroma in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

So got an email today from Stroma outlining the changes planned for the 18th Edition:

What are the proposed changes to the Wiring Regulations?

• Part 1 has been amended so that a statement has to be made on an EIC if using non-approved equipment.
  • Part 2 has been expanded and amended with many new definitions.
  • Part 4 has significant changes such as all sockets up to 32A have to be 30mA RCD protected, with no exceptions. Metal pipes entering buildings with an insulated section will no longer need bonding. Lighting circuits in domestic premises must be 30mA RCD protected. The requirements for surge protection have been revised.
  • Part 5 has significant changes including all cables requiring metallic fixings to prevent premature collapse, not just in escape routes. There is a new requirement for all installations to have an earth electrode to supplement a supplier's earth.
  • Part 6 has been re-structured and the regulations have been re-numbered.
  • Part 7 has a complete new section for supplies to inland navigation vessels.
  • Part 8 is a new part which is for application of energy efficiency measures applying to installations in domestic, commercial and industrial premises.
  • The Appendices have many changes which are mostly minor amendments, but Appendix 14 has completely changed and now concerns measurement of fault current.
Anyone know:

is there a definition of "non approved equipment"?

need more info

ALL sockets to be 30mA protected - this is daft... so FCU's from the 18th for freezers!

All sites to have an earth rod to supplement the suppliers earth - WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Part 6 - Need more info

Part 7 - Need more info

Part 8 - Could be an interesting read!

So these changes should be wrapped in a free document, if you can prove the purchase of the BYB IMHO

Can anyone tell me which planet the muppets who come up with these ideas are on?

Are they really saying that ALL cabling needs metal fixings, even low level and above ceilings ?! Could be a return to buckle clips. :rolleyes:
What goes around comes around, no Dave some bright clever git will invent a plastic cable clip with a metal base, you wait and see, going to be interesting, I have about 10 earth rods in my shed I ain't going to be using them, anyone local who wants them free, to be collected,

Groovy, I missed out first time around!
Then you missed the chance to learn how to clip PVC/PVC cables correctly, and make it look like a professional tradesman did it, proper job it was in those days, not just a case of bashing a plastic clip in, now way can you make today's clips look nice.

Non approved equipment would pertain to the current reg 133.1.1. which asks all equipment to be of a BS or BSEN standard.
We will now be asked to make record where we choose to include non standardised kit.

I would say that in domestic installations the rules will apply the same as now,plasterboard ceilings have a fire rating to a certain period of time so your plastic cable clips will still be used.
Plastic saddles for conduit however could be rendered unusable for all exposed wiring containment everywhere at high levels maybe

Reply to 18th Edition email from Stroma in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net